• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Hostabuck??

mikemac007

Anyone use hostabuck.com? I'm a college student, and really don't feel like paying even $8 or so a month for space. I have a domain already and a site. I am currently with web1000.com and there ftp seems to be mostly down then up, getting on my nerves already. Anyone think hostabuck would be reliable? Or better yet anyone use them for one of their plans and think they are decent? Thanks.

Very minimal features... Its mostly a 'community' type site, with a homepage and forums being the most important part of it. I got the forums from ezboard. So really just reliable FTP and say 10mb+ space, if i can drive enough traffic to it and the forum grows perhaps I'll need more features, as of now mostly simple.

point taken, as this topic remains in the wrong forum, any other suggestions for dirt cheap hosting should the need arise? I'm talking less then $5 a month.

If you knew it was in the wrong forum, why did you post it there? Also if you had wanted it moved, the "report this post" link would have been a quicker solution than waiting for someone to find it. Moved.

Sorry Jan, I'm new to this board, being that I don't think I have posted in any of the other forums I lazily posted it in the freewebsace forums, my bad. Marsha Marsha Marsha!

(Even more funny, they don't even own an SSL certificate, using the certificate that the server generates)

Ever stop to think how expenisve they can be when you have to buy them for several servers?

It only makes sense to use a self sign cert for the admin panel as it is just as secure as any cert you want to buy and can save you a few hundred bucks.

Once you install that certificate, you won't get the warning again as long as the host keeps it vailid.

This may be off topic (and feel free to delete it if it is) however I feel that the reason you stated is not a valid reason to discount their credability.

[EDIT]

Further more any user is going to use a self signed certificate as long as he/she accesses their control panel from www.theirdomain.com/admin which most do because it's much easier to remember. :)

Last edited:
Originally posted by mikemac007
point taken, as this topic remains in the wrong forum, any other suggestions for dirt cheap hosting should the need arise? I'm talking less then $5 a month.

I'm currently hosted by & satisfied with AllAboutHosting and they have plans starting @ $5/year :cool:

HostABuck does not currently have a installed certificate from a comonly trusted provider because there is no need for one. No additional security would be provided by using a trusted certificate provider.

Our plans are great and very very low cost. $18 setup is only an initial cost, and $12 a year thereafter is incredibly low. We have an incredibly fast server and incredibly fast internet connection, and our customers are incredibly happy.

www.hostabuck.com and hostabuck.com are 2 different servers.

www is my NT server where I have choosen to host the signup scripts (ASP). That's all... No other reason. I suppose if I wanted I could re-write in PHP, but I see no need as nothing is broken.

Thanks and goodluck to all in picking your favorite host
HostABuck (Al)

Back