• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Host which costs a little bit more than nothing

Albert

A friend of mine wants to make his own website and has no domain at the moment. FWPs without ads have a lot of problems, as I told him and so he asked me to ask you, what you would suggest. 20MB webspace would be more than enough, no php/cgi, a virtual host is a must and of course *no* down times. The site would be accessed from South America and Europe mainly.

Especially we are interested in these providers who offer good and cheap services in connection with domain registration.

What about doteasy and similar services?

Thanks
Albert

<<MOD EDIT>>
Pathetic excuse for a host attempting to shamelessly promote his services.
<</MOD EDIT>>

[Edited by Chicken on 02-06-2001 at 08:04 PM]

Albert, this isn't a recommendation. This is yet another attempt by the most pathetic host I have ever run across to spam the forums. Please ignore.

Originally posted by Chicken
Please ignore.

Thanks for the info. I have been at their site and because of their site, I decided very soon to ignore them. They should work on a clear site and not on spamming.

Well, there's really no such thing as "no" downtime. Good uptime is a nice thing, though. What about Worldzonepro.net? It costs just a little bit more than nothing, athough you do have to register your own domain, they give good support and make everything pretty easy.

Originally posted by psalzer
Well, there's really no such thing as "no" downtime.

You are right, but there is a difference if you have a downtime once per month or every (2nd) day with a FWP, so we are looking for a paid service, but won't pay a lot.

Please have a look at my post in the freeservice section: "Mailserver did not change from mydomain to zoneedit" re worldzonepro.net (http://66.33.36.33/forums/showthread.php?threadid=2484), where I asked the following:

Well, I have been there and it looks quite interesting. For a 1st step I made a testpage with their free service and check now their downtimes. Unfortunately they don't have ftp with their free service. I like their kind of adding banners at the bottom, that would be ok for me.

I am not sure if you have to pay for and per subdomains extra and if you can define them yourself. At the moment I use a lot of subdomains, so I don't have to change urls with catalogs. Also I am not sure, if you have to pay extra for more than 1 email-redirection.

follow up?

I'd go ask these questions on their forum. They're very helpful there, and it's the best place for specifics. I'm not at all sure the the free version is a good trial of Pro. I don't know if it's on the same server for one thing. I moved a personal project that had outgrown free space to Worldzonepro and have been happy so far, but haven't had time to scratch the surface of what they offer.

Actually I can answer these questions here :)
Albert - Subdomains are the same price as normal accounts, because they are seperate accounts. I.e. They come with their own bandwidth and space allocation.
Regarding email redirection, users get a "catch-all" Pop address, and you can use Plusmail (provided with your account) to redirect incoming email to different addresses at your domain, to different other addresses.

psalzer - Worldzone Pro and Worldzone are on the same server.

Originally posted by Atlantis
Subdomains are the same price as normal accounts, because they are seperate accounts

In about 1 month my friend is going to start his own homepages and I believe I should recommend him your service for 1 homepage, because he dont need subdomains at the moment and it looks like that your server is ok. Till now I got no report, that my page was down.

But is it really a good idea to treat a subdomain as an own account?

For my own private page (no earnings and I do not want to go commercial) I use a lot of free services and decided to use about 20 subdomains to change FWPs easier. None of my subdomains uses more than 1MB, often less.

My private homepage would never need 100MB and I suppose 10MB or less would be enough, 1 GB bandwith for my domain including all my subdomains would be also more than enough.

All I want is a cheap, but reliable server with no extra costs for subdomains and email-forwarding. A limitation of the annual bandwith for everything would be ok.

An idea could be to use worldzone in combination with zoneedit or mydomain and redirect to worldzone. But as both free domain-hosters had downs in the last time this is 3rd choice.

I decided to use free services until my next domain-update in about 1 year and therefore I have a lot of time to look for a paid service, which offers what I need.

**UPDATE**

Just as an update to the above posts, Worldzone does allow people to direct a subdomain to a subdirectory within their account, now.

Hello
You could do the subdomain thing using free web redirection from Zoneedit.com
The subdomains will end up in a frame though, but it will work.

Gordon

Originally posted by GordonH
Hello
You could do the subdomain thing using free web redirection from Zoneedit.com
The subdomains will end up in a frame though, but it will work.

Please explain. How can you switch 1 domain to zoneedit and worldzone?

If you ask that zoneedit question on our forum, there are some there doing it that can tell you how.

I think the subdomain question was pointing a subdomain to a regular worldzone account, correct? No, we dont do that. At least not yet anyway. For those who do volunteer work I have pointed subdomains, or even domains to subdirectories of their main Pro accounts for free and it work just like a Pro account, but they earned it. Even if I do start offering that for the general public, it wont be free due to the work involved....and if it was free, I would get swamped in requests and never get anything else done.

Back