• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Host for World of Warcraft patches?

ScottC2105

Hey everyone :).

I am looking to start a site where World of Warcraft players can download patches new and old fast. Sites like this already exist but they are slow and not one seems to offer both patches for Windows and Mac.

1. I want to do this and in return will have "Bandwidth provided by Your_Name_Here" messages once the user downloads a patch.
  2. Banners of your choice at the top advertising you hosting.
Why do I want to do this?
I am an avid WoW player. I play on Mac and my other half on Windows and it is a nightmare to get hold of both patches fast, so, I want to do something about it :).

What do I want from it?
Nothing! I just want to do it as a "hobby" of sorts.

I understand this maybe a lot of bandwidth etc but it is just an idea so if no one is up for it that is fine :).

Thanks.

[x10]Brandon;1041124 said:
How big are the patches? Average download numbers?

Patches vary from 1-3mb to 700+mb. Not sure about the numbers depends on the popularity I guess.

This is just an idea and if hosts think it is too much then that is ok :).

The only reason to host patches is if your running public/private servers... I'm going to be holding windows patches starting at 2.3.0 on my ftp server ftp://yourdata1st.com/ but I won't be putting up mac patches.

I disagree. Downloading patches from Blizzard is a long process. They use bittorrent tech that uses your full upload bandwidth which in return throttles your download by a hell-of-a-lot.

And, as you have said, not many places have the mac patches.

Hey everyone :).

I am looking to start a site where World of Warcraft players can download patches new and old fast. Sites like this already exist but they are slow and not one seems to offer both patches for Windows and Mac.

1. I want to do this and in return will have "Bandwidth provided by Your_Name_Here" messages once the user downloads a patch.
  2. Banners of your choice at the top advertising you hosting.
Why do I want to do this?
I am an avid WoW player. I play on Mac and my other half on Windows and it is a nightmare to get hold of both patches fast, so, I want to do something about it :).

What do I want from it?
Nothing! I just want to do it as a "hobby" of sorts.

I understand this maybe a lot of bandwidth etc but it is just an idea so if no one is up for it that is fine :).

Thanks.

toss me over a email ccrider@rainydaygaming.com and ill see if I can help you out

I can probably help you out. I can give you FTP access to an area in my SimpleCDN account (SimpleCDN is a massive content delivery network). All you'd do is upload the files there (or I could) and then directly link to them, no fuss just pure fast downloads from the US and Europe. Please just PM me for me information if you're interested. :)

Back