• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Home server

ardnat said:
Would a home server be accectable in hosting. It gets t1-t2 banwith

No, to insure you can keep it connected 24/7 a DC is best when your hosting paid clients, many ISP's dont allow this anyway as it uses allot of bandwidth.

Would a homeserver be acceptable to host though? I mean is say you have a PC in your basement, room, office, building, ect. Can you configure that PC into a server and let people host sites, ect. on it?

Chief said:
Would a homeserver be acceptable to host though? I mean is say you have a PC in your basement, room, office, building, ect. Can you configure that PC into a server and let people host sites, ect. on it?

Sure, its very easy to do but you must ask your ISP first otherwise they normally cut you off :cry2:.

Would a homeserver be acceptable to host? The question can't be answer with a simple yes or no.

First, you need to determine what kind of Internet Connection is used. In this case, the download speed isn't important, it's the upload. A typical residential line doesn't have good enough upload to even support 10 users at once.

The next thing you need to look at is the redundancy of the Internet Connection. Is there an SLA? If it's a residential line, there is no SLA and if it goes down, it goes down. Not to mention that most ISPs do not allow servers on their lines, despite it being residential or business.

The next factor one has to take into consideration is electricity. What kind of backup will you have? A dinky Best Buy UPS will not be good enough. You need a good gas/diseal powered generator that can immediately kick in and keep the server online.

What about security? At a DataCenter, security is pretty tight. At home it's not that secure.

A T1 (1.54mbps) is not sufficient for hosting.

If you want to run a business, be serious about it.

Good info Robert, a home server is fine if its just for you but if your a paid client you expect quality speeds & uptime.

A home server isn't suitable for hosting...but they are very useful anyway!

I run a homeserver and have it connected to the internet using a subdomain off of my domain so that I CAN get to it on the internet if necessary, butI mainly just use it for testing purposes (PHP).

Chief said:
So what specs are needed to host a webserver?

Any specs will do for personal use, the best things for me is:

Any CPU over 1.5Ghz or AMD 2200, 512 RAM + (256 just about OK).

You also need to look for a good OS, red hat 9 is very good for web servers plus it has server applications built in.

I have 2 home servers, both windows & they are great for backups, testing servers, software testing etc etc

Oh I see. And, I have another question.

I'm looking to host a gameserver, do you think it's possible to do that with a home server? If so, what specs would you recommend?

A home server is good for:

- PHP, ASP, CSS, design, etc, testing
- Accesing your files from another computer
- Learning Apache

No home server will be good for a Hosting Company as you can't ensure the same performance of a DC server

Chief said:
Oh I see. And, I have another question.

I'm looking to host a gameserver, do you think it's possible to do that with a home server? If so, what specs would you recommend?

Well I have no idea on that as I dont or never have setup one, I think there are a few host on this board that offer these services (maybe ask them) or cPanel.net have some details on this (free gameserver control panel I think).

Paul White said:
A home server isn't suitable for hosting...but they are very useful anyway!

I run a homeserver and have it connected to the internet using a subdomain off of my domain so that I CAN get to it on the internet if necessary, butI mainly just use it for testing purposes (PHP).

Don't mean to derail the thread, but I've always been confused on how to forward a subdomain off of a domain to a certain IP address.... mind explaining how to do it?

Regards,

You can do this by changing the dns records but you'll need access to WHM for this or ask your host to do it for you.

some WHM configs don't have DNS Zone editing. Ask you ISP, mine has it at least

perfect....all of it

Robert said:
Would a homeserver be acceptable to host? The question can't be answer with a simple yes or no.

First, you need to determine what kind of Internet Connection is used. In this case, the download speed isn't important, it's the upload. A typical residential line doesn't have good enough upload to even support 10 users at once.

The next thing you need to look at is the redundancy of the Internet Connection. Is there an SLA? If it's a residential line, there is no SLA and if it goes down, it goes down. Not to mention that most ISPs do not allow servers on their lines, despite it being residential or business.

The next factor one has to take into consideration is electricity. What kind of backup will you have? A dinky Best Buy UPS will not be good enough. You need a good gas/diseal powered generator that can immediately kick in and keep the server online.

What about security? At a DataCenter, security is pretty tight. At home it's not that secure.

A T1 (1.54mbps) is not sufficient for hosting.

If you want to run a business, be serious about it.

Would anyone possibly have a list of which ISPs accepting webservers on their lines, or/and which don't?

well i have a home srevr as my isp allows it
my site is pretty fast
i hardly have downtime that too in 3 or 4 months just because of maintanance
ofcourse home servers can't be used for paid hosting :p
but if u know server administration well then it works great you can solve the downtime very easily

just my 2 cents

Chief said:
Would anyone possibly have a list of which ISPs accepting webservers on their lines, or/and which don't?

Well if you're in Orlando, FL.. then the choice of ISP you have is a few. I think Speakeasy allows Servers, they reseller through BellSouth. FDN Communications can set you up with a T1 and allow a server, but again, a T1 isn't good enough.

Back