• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Home Networking

What type of Network do you have at home?

• Total voters
Same here. I got a linksys router w/ a Orinoco Access Point. Plus my new laser printer is wireless hehe!

don't have a network :frown2: but would like to setup one through. looking at prices at the moment it doesn't seem all that expensive. about AU$60 for a 4 port hub and about 80 for a 8 port hub. though i think the network cable is going to be the most expensive. Does anyone know a good website on networking?

Cat5e is pretty cheap. You can get 1000 ft. shipped to your door for less than $50.

Yeah I wired my hosue with 1,000ft (I am out now) for $40 shipped to my door. Yahoo shopping. Amazon.com also has good deals on routers

I got a dlink wireless router, with a dlink 4 port router, and an IBM 16 port switch.

My network is currently wireless, though it may be changed once I find a solution. -- I am stuck wireless due to the way my house is set up, it's rather old and restricts me from running any cabling without a mess.

And my WLAN is as secure as I can possibly get it, without turning it off completely, next step is to switch to WPA.

Does an unconnected network count? I connect my com to another by Ethernet to transfer data over, but I don't have a router so I can't connect them to the net. Does that count? :S

trenzterra said:
Maybe, but Phyx said home networking. :p
Well you can have an internal network at home. A network doesn't have to be connected to the internet to be classified as one.
[add]my gosh, who voted you bad?!
Like 5 of the last 7 people who've given me rep. My reputation was down to negative 10 at one point, but now it's back up to negative 3.

CareBear said:
Go with a switch instead of a hub, the prices for both should be about the same.
Besides that switches are only a little more expensive, and I was told that they are better at sending the right packets to the right computers - newer technology than what is commonly used in hubs.

Bruce said:
Well you can have an internal network at home. A network doesn't have to be connected to the internet to be classified as one.Like 5 of the last 7 people who've given me rep. My reputation was down to negative 10 at one point, but now it's back up to negative 3.
What did you say, man? :confused:

Bruce said:
To get the negative rep? I dunno.

"he used spaces"
"for fun"
":rolleyes:"

Those rest didn't have comments.
Oh yeah, I think I recall giving you a bad rep...... :D for some post of yours... don't remember now. Think it had to do with you saying something about not caring or liking negative points..... (?) whatever :p One of 'em was me, heh.

Both.
Laptops on wireless, desktops on ethernet.
I also have a ethernet cable on my desk for when I need to transfer huge files to my fileserver. 100mbps is hella faster then 11mbps.

GregT said:
Both.
Laptops on wireless, desktops on ethernet.
I also have a ethernet cable on my desk for when I need to transfer huge files to my fileserver. 100mbps is hella faster then 11mbps.

New username?

Back