• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Here's a question.

SC-Jon

I've been looking into starting to sell VPS, and Dedicated server packages, but currently, I'm not so sure on where I should look. I've worked with owning them...and working on them, but never selling them.

Would any of you guys and or ladies, know where I could look at such? Price isn't really a matter too me, as I have good enough funding, though, budget would be nice.

Any help would be *greatly* appreciated.

Cheers!

I would first research what type of virtualization framework you want to depend on; virtuozzo, openvz, xen, vmware, etc... and then go from there.

Make sure you buy proper servers and don't turn junk into VPS', it won't work out well for you!

There are 2 options availible for you:
#1 Colocate your own servers and sell them
#2 Resell third party company servers and VPS.
Both have pros and cons. But if budget doesn't really metter for you anything - go with option 1.

There are 2 options availible for you:
#1 Colocate your own servers and sell them
#2 Resell third party company servers and VPS.
Both have pros and cons. But if budget doesn't really metter for you anything - go with option 1.

Colocation sounds like a plan, but maybe later.

Any suggestions for #2 though?

Edit: As for the VPS, I was thinking Openvz, but recent thinking has made me not-so-sure. I heard virtuozzo was pretty good though.

OpenVZ works fine. It's based off the same kernel that Virtuozzo uses. Virtuozzo does have it's own share of tools, however OpenVZ is catching up with the tools as well.

I recommend doing some more research before trying to get in this industry. Matter of fact, any other industry.

I recommend doing some more research before trying to get in this industry. Matter of fact, any other industry.

I've done my share of research, even my share of working. It's just good to have other peoples opinions before making a final decision. As goes for any field of industry.

If you'd like to discuss this further, feel free to add me to AIM or MSN. I think I could offer some insight into where to go. I've been in many different situations.

I've been looking into starting to sell VPS, and Dedicated server packages, but currently, I'm not so sure on where I should look. I've worked with owning them...and working on them, but never selling them.

Would any of you guys and or ladies, know where I could look at such? Price isn't really a matter too me, as I have good enough funding, though, budget would be nice.

Any help would be *greatly* appreciated.

Cheers!

get at me on msn to talk about a sales position. i have a couple options you may be interested in.

Serverpoint.com and Fastservers.net also offer dedicated hosting reselling.
On the point of virtualization framework:Virtuozzo and OpenVz are great for all basic needs, much better than Xen.

Not sure where it is 'much better than xen'. Xen is rock solid and it is a technology with quite a bit of money being thrown at it. It will be the primary source of Virtualization in Solaris 11, it is now in RHEL 5 and supported under RHEL support. Novell is now supporting it under their SUSE Enterprise support.

The current tools for XEN are not in place, but they are coming soon. If you want to jump on board with virtualization - go with Xen. Have the ability to sell both Linux/Solaris/Windows. OpenVZ is stable but does still have many issues and Virtuozzo can be VERY expensive and makes it very hard to compete with OpenVZ company pricing.

all depend which niche you would like to cover. If you like an familar with OpenVZ. Nice - just go ahead. And arizonadream - thanks for warm words here. ;)

Back