• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

help!

soulair

Ok, I'm really getting confused with all this domain stuff. What's the difference between domain name hosting and domain hosting? Is it the same? I just got my domain and I have no idea how to work it. What are name servers? Argh....

Originally posted by soulair
What's the difference between domain name hosting and domain hosting? Is it the same?
Yes, it's the same thing.
I just got my domain and I have no idea how to work it. What are name servers? Argh....
Your host should tell you the nameservers.

Ok, I'm really getting confused with all this domain stuff. What's the difference between domain name hosting and domain hosting? Is it the same? I just got my domain and I have no idea how to work it. What are name servers? Argh....

1)
What's the difference between domain name hosting and domain hosting? Is it the same?

Yes, its the same thing.

2)
What are name servers?

Name server or domain name server (DNS) is a server that point the domain name any subdomain names you have to the correct web server. Check with your hosting services for a name server you could use. Hn.org have a free dns service you could use if you are hosting it yourself and don't want to waste time setting up your own dns server.

Originally posted by conkermaniac
I don't understand this stuff about Name Servers still...

get said u make 4 subdomain names:
www1.domain.com
www2.domain.com
www3.domain.com
www4.domain.com

1 n 2 web server is located on the address x.x.x.x
3 n 4 web server is located on the address y.y.y.y

the name server or dns point www1.domain.com and www2.domain.com point to x.x.x.x and same w/ 3 n 4

if 1 n 2 is point to y.y.y.y ur web site could not b seen cause its not on that server

to sum it up, the dns convert the name into an ip # of where the web or mail server is located

If u have tried Ping Command then u can get an easy idea of a Name Server

What ping command actually do is ping the IP Address of the web Site not the Domain Name regardless that it doesnt automatically convert Name to IP.

Now hosting a website requires a server which has a static IP over Internet, the other thing u need is the Domain name to register. Now this domain name is attached with the IP address of the Server on which ur WebPage is located. so whenever some one requests for ur webpage the relative server resolves its name into IP of the Hosting Server and from then onwards Data Transfer Starts.

Hope u get this.

Originally posted by conkermaniac
I don't understand this stuff about Name Servers still...
I'm not sure wm2k1's explanation cleared it up for you (it confuses me), but in short...

Domain name > Nameserver (contains zone file for domain) > Server

Your Domain name (example: billy.com) must have Nameservers (example ns1.host.com, ns2.host.com), which will have your domain's zone file. The zone file basically (short explantion), tells where everything goes, what server the domain is on, where to deliver mail (what server), where subdomains should go, etc.

Now that you've got things pointing to the right place, next step is to set the Domain name on the Server (you can't just point domains at servers and hope that they will resolve, they won't).

On the Server, everything must be set up so that when the call comes (so to speak), the server is ready. Similar to your home computer, when a request for the domain comes, you have have to set it so that it knows where the files for the Domain are in order to return the proper file.

Somewhat simplistic explanation, but...

Sample zone file:
Code:
DNS records
name class type data time to live 
eebu.com IN NS ns1.webwurkx.com 86400s (1d) 
eebu.com IN NS ns2.webwurkx.com 86400s (1d) 
eebu.com IN A 64.247.6.153 3600s (1h) 
[url]www.eebu.com[/url] IN A 64.247.6.153 3600s (1h) 
eebu.com IN MX preference: 10 
exchange: mail.eebu.com 
 3600s (1h) 
eebu.com IN SOA server: ns1.tera-byte.com 
email: [email]hostmaster@tera-byte.com[/email] 
serial: 2001122300 
refresh: 3600 
retry: 900 
expire: 3600000 
minimum ttl: 3600 
 3600s (1h) 
6.247.64.in-addr.arpa IN SOA server: ns1.nac.net