• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

help with server please

tigersfan

I recently installed Debian 4.0 (Etch) Server on my new mini-tower server box. I was configuring the packages the other day, and I was wondering if there was a way for me to setup a webcam, or specifically multiple webcams? I'm using this server box for my non-profit organization, and we want to be able to have our meetings broadcast to all the board members who are in cities other than Detroit.

For example, I would like to setup a subdomain, like webcams.domain.tld, and have that password-protected. When a Board Member enters the subdomain and enters the login information, an html page pops up with a list of cameras that they can view. We are looking at anywhere from 10-20 Logitech QuickCams, unless anyone has a cheaper webcamera suggestion.

Can anyone help me with this? As far as I know, the documentation I have read so far is very incomplete, and does not answer my question fully.

Thanks for any help you all may offer!

Paul

Your looking for a collaboration server, you've hit on a request you ain't getting for nowt!

Nor for a small fee, it's expensive.

Thanks for your suggestions. If I were going to look at something professional, what would I look at and how costly would we be looking at? I'm just trying to get some suggestions...

I've seen a script in the UK (In a catalog) that included all the software needed (Windows based) and included 4 or so webcams. It cost around £800 if I remember correctly (The only reason I remembered, is cause I was quite interested ;)).

Which works out to $1,600. I'm sure you could get the software cheaper now... but still... It would be around $800-$1200 USD and I have only seen windows/IIS based software.

That's the cheap end Richard, to run it properly requires a bridging suite (don't panic it's mainly software on a server) but still usually runs under a per user license. Polycom is one solution which works well when properly setup and maintained, but it's still pricy.

Try for a simpler solution with only 2 main sites live in picture at any time, the rest can still have voice in a conference scenario (that's probably better using your telco)

Thanks for your suggestions. I think I'm going to wait a little while until I have some funding to put toward this project.

I have one other question- can anyone here tell me how to setup Apache to work with subdomains? I'm a newbie to all this Apache code, and I have not been able to find a good tutorial on it.

Thanks!
Paul

Are you using anmy form of control panel? If not you'll have to edit httpd.conf do a google on that and it should tell you what you need :)

Thanks Decker and hosting-shack for all of your help. I do not have a control panel so I obviously have to do this by hand.

Thanks!

No probs, the manual editting isn't that scary, just remember to restart Apache after every edit :wink2:

Back