• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Help with css in IE and firefox

cococomics

Okay you guys, I have another problem here. I recently completed www.cococomics.net 's latest layout. It looks great (to me) in firefox, but when I test it out in IE, the banner section is not transparent OR overlapping the centercontent. The properties for both are obviously CSS. Have a look at the source if you think you can help.
Also, the comics and art sections aren't that great, but as you can see in another thread, I'm waiting to put a script on there to make it look a lot better.

Thanks to anyone who helps :wink2:

One other thing, how can I get the background-image to stop from repeating. Just to have one image on the left of the page?
I tried using a div, with a z-index but it didn't work out...

I'm not sure now, but this is what I think.

Your CSS for the banner is:
#banner {
background:#fff;
height:40px;
border-top:1px solid #fff;
border-right:1px solid #fff;
border-left:1px solid #fff;
voice-family: "\"}\"";
voice-family: inherit;
height:39px;
margin-bottom:10px;
You've set the background of the banner to be white, so yeah.

And for the background repeat thing, take out the:
background-repeat:repeat-x;
Replace it with:
background-postion: centre;

Thanks! Heh, I figured out about the white background thing yesterday. Is there a way to make the banner overlap the centercontent, like it does in firefox? Thanks again!

yeah, but why would you want to? it doesnt look very good like that, and it makes it hard to read. but try this

HTML:
	#banner {
		height:40px;
		voice-family: "\"}\"";
		voice-family: inherit;
		height:39px;
		margin-bottom:10px;
		position: absolute;
		left: 20px;
		top: 20px;
		}

Alright. I don't think I will do that. I'm guessing you have more experience in this than me. Do you think it looks good otherwise?

the site just doesnt seem to really make any sense. it is called cococomics, and i immediately think about commics, jokes. so the hand holding fingernail polish or something doesnt seem to fit. the menu should be changed too. maybe a different color and bold and make a rollover effect too. if you are looking for a good layout, and are not sure how to make one, go to designload.net, and if you find one you like, PM me and let me know witch one you like, and i will get it for free. or i will help you make one. also, it is kind of pointless to use css when you are typing it in to each page. the point of css is to make a css file an dtell each page to to pull the neccessary info from the file: here is an example

HTML:
<link rel="stylesheet" href="FILENAMEHERE.css" type="text/css">

this way you can change one thing in the css file like the background, and it will automatically change for each page. to see some excellent examples of css visit http://www.csszengarden.com let me know if yo need help.

I know the css on each page is dumb, but i tried that code and for some reason i must've messed it up somehow because it didn't work, and i just haven't tried it again. I like to make my own layouts and learn different things, but you can help if you're feeling generous! :)

yeah, try the code again, and make sure it is in the head area like this
HTML:
<html>
<head>
<title>title here></title>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="FILENAMEHERE.css type="text/css" />
</head>
<body>
BODY GOES HERE
</body>
</html>

make sure to name the css file the same as the one you are trying to call "FILENAMEHERE.css" and if you put it in a folder make sure to list the full path name like: "path/FILENAMEHERE.css"

Back