• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Help! Old Game / New pc / VERY slow

Wojtek

W as in Whisky
NLC
As some of you may know, I finally got my hands on need for speed 2 special edition :p

So I installed it and tryied playing

At first it didnt want to start
So I googled for any xp issues and I found that my paging filesize must be maximum 512 as it dosnt work with a higher number.

Fine, I set it to 512 and reboot.
The game lauched fine, the intro/menu were fine, but when I start a game, each second in the game is about 6-7 in the real life.
First, the camera is VERY sluggish, then when the race begins the 3,2,1,go coutdown looks like 3..[5 secs delay]..2..[5 secs delay]..1..[5 secs delay]..GO!
And the race timer goes up by 1 second after 6-7 seconds in the 'real world' :(

I already tried the compatibility option to make it run win95-ish, win98-ish and none seem to fix this problem.
Anyone might know of some fix or something?
It's a real shame I cannot play :(

Tnx :)

/add
The music plays fine at the normal speed rate, it only seems to be some sort of problem in the engine timing mechanism or something, with newer fast cpu's. I got an amd 2500+

Last edited:
thats very strange because i run need for speed 2 special edition on a 2.4ghz computer with windows xp professional and it works 100%

If you have a bunch of old games that you want to play, I suggest you do what I did - get an old system. I've got a 486 running DOS 6.2 at home.

[ADD]
Because no emulation can beat the real thing. If you really don't want to get another system, then try installing dosbox or the like or using some sort of slowcpu program.

Last edited:
agree, you can easily get an 200mhz notebook for 30 dollars. thats what i did, so when its late and i cant sleep, i just play some hundred years old adventure games and my parents dont even notice it

can you tell me where you can get a 200mhz notebook for 30 dollars? i'm interested.. =P
or are these ebay used ones you are talking about? the shipping alone is like $30.. with that it almost hits $100.. not sure if i want to spend $100 on a 200mhz =/

been keeping track of old laptops on ebay for a few days...
the auctions for like 200~300mhz laptops always end up between $100~$300, without shipping..

this means iam a lucky guy, coz i bought my pentium 233 for 35euros in a second hand shop!

Back