• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Help needed with making GIFs and PNGs transparent in Photoshop 6

LeX

ლ(╹◡╹ლ)
NLC
I don't know how to use the transparent image feature in Photoshop 6. Can anyone give me some tutorials or explain it to me?

Currently, I'm using Photoshop 4 to export GIF89a's, but it's getting too frustrating to have to close 6 to open 4 just to save an image as a transparent image and close 4 and open 6 to continue working on graphics.

Since the backgroudn is locked.. you can't erase it. skip to 4 if you create new picture in transparent mode.

1. Copy the background to the new layer
2. Drag the background to bin
3. Erase the previous background e.g. with the magic wand
4. Now you would get a grey chess block background under your image
5. Go to File->Save For Web
6. On the right below the "Output Settings" Use GIF
7. Select the option you want. [to minimize size but optimal quality[
8. ***CHECK BOX "TRANSPARENCY" ***
9. Click OK

NOTICE: Please observe the size of file before saving.. try to make it small so it can load faster...

NOTICE2: Adobe ImageReady is other powerful tool comes with PhotoShop.

There's no way I can point and click a color and it becomes transparent? (Like how it was with Photoshop 4) :(

If not, then are there any good small proggies that does that?

I think there is... LeX.. but I don't know.. I used to do that in PhotoShop 4, too.. I think you can find the way to choose the background color for transparent option, too.. but not for long to make me become familiar with the new features PhotoShop provides maybe you need someone else to answer..

I am just a bad spammer.. :crysad::crysad::crysad:

Lex, try paintshop pro - that works for me ;)

colours/set transparency/optimised octree and follow the lead from there :cool:

No, thanks for trying to help me, I really appreciate that. :)

I guess I'll have to wait for somebody else to stumble upon this thread. ;)

Originally posted by Jan
Lex, try paintshop pro - that works for me ;)
But that's no small software! And I don't have it...

[ADD]
I was hoping that I can accomplish that (select transparency color) in Photoshop... using external applications is a last resort.

Last edited:
Originally posted by LeX
But that's no small software! And I don't have it...

I believe it also comes with a price tag - about $80, right?

I don't have PS LeX, but I can ask someone for you (if she is home). I'm surprised no one has answered this since so many ppl say they use it. :p

maybe...

I really don't use photoshop for GIFs that much, but maybe this'll work...

go through the stuff vora said making a transparent layer and a laer with the image... then go to the layer that has image use the magic wand [magnetic or whichever one] select the colour you want to go transparent depending on how much you want selected just experiment with the oh what's that thign called ^^ selected :rolleyes: umm yeah Tolerance setting... then when you got what you want select the eraser in the floating tool menu and click in the selected area... then flatten image and save with transparency...

Hope that works ;)

She doesn't answer. :mad: Have you tried "Export for web" or whatever they call it? I haven't used PS in a long time and never used it much. I just remeber that everything always has to be exported in one way or another to get away from the PS format.

Export

It doesn't have to be exported you just have to merge the layers which no normal web image format handles. Under ugh Layers menu I think at the very bottom it says Flatten Image that merges them all then you can save it and the drop down to save as type will let you pic many options

I'd like to know too, so as of now I just make the images in PS and copy em over to Anim3 and PSP7 to make em transparent

Back