• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Help needed with a project please share ur info!

yesar92

We want to make a hosting information website, like Freewebspace. But we are both not expert in hosting. We need a list of some "factors" of a hosting, or the information in "fields" when submitting a new hosting.
This is a list of the things we need to know right now:
  1. What kind of file extensions are generally uploaded in hostings? It's used to set "File Type Limitation" field. Graphic formats, HTML/CSS and script files are not considered.
    Plan right now: .gz .tar .bz2 .rar .zip .7z .exe .xls .doc .ppt .pdf .swf .xml
    Are there anything important missing in these?
  2. What are the server-side script generally allowed in hostings?
    The list now: PHP, ASP, CGI, Ruby on Rails
    Are there anything important missing?
  3. What are the general OS servers are using?
    The list now: Linux - Debian / Ubuntu, BSD, Linux - RHEL / CentOS, Windows
    Are there anything important missing in these? Or anything wrong?
  4. What are the general web servers servers are using? I know Apache, nginx and IIS, are there any important ones missing?
  5. What are the general types of hostings? I heard there are shared hostings, VDS, VPS. Any other types?
  6. What are the general control panel of hostings? I know cPanel, DirectAdmin, LayeredPanel and VistaPanel. Are they all for shared hosting? What are the control panels of VDS/VPS?
  7. What are the important parameters in PHP when selecting a hosting?
    The list now:
    Safe Mode
    allow_url_fopen
    Sendmail
    PHP Accelerators: eAccelerator, Zend Optimizer
    Graphic Libraries: GD, ImageMagick
    memory_limit
    upload_max_filesize
    Server API (What are the kinds of Server API? Sorry, but I don't know it at all)
    Are there anything important missing?
  8. What's the important factors/parameters for ASP? I have no idea at all.
Thanks a million.

Back