• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Help me use a custom domain name on my blog?

yashved

I have purchased a new domain just now and would like to setup a forum, that is hosted with another web host on sub-domain of the newly purchased domain, i.e. If I have abc.com, I want to setup forum on forum.abc.com

Someone, please explain me how to setup DNS Records. I mean I will have to create a "A" Record or a "CNAME" Record or what?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Ouch! ...my head hurts trying to understand this?

I think you can just do an add on domain ? ..right guys?

Ouch! ...my head hurts trying to understand this?

I think you can just do an add on domain ? ..right guys?

Now I would try to keep it simple this time....

I have a blog at blogger.com.
I want to setup a forum hosted on a Webhost.
Now I have already configured my blogger.com blog to point to my root, i.e. abc.com.
What I now want is to configure my forum in such a way that it is available from forum.abc.com

I hope I am clear enough this time here!

How do I setup a subdomain on my domain registered with name.com. I mean do I need to create another CNAME Record?

Also, where I am going to host forum, at WebsiteNetworks.com, when I select domain it comes with a prefix "www". So I cannot select that subdomain that I just created. :angel:
In such a case I might have to create a forum at mydomain.com "/" forum. I don't know how to do that....:p:confused4

Please help! :)

Last edited:
How do I setup a subdomain on my domain registered with name.com. I mean do I need to create another CNAME Record?

This is pretty simple. As soon as you've logged into your name.com account, you'll see a list of your names. If you click directly on the name, you'll go to the domain management page for that name. In the Control Panel menu, on the right hand side, the third link down will say DNS Management...click that. That will take you to a page that allows you to create your DNS records.

In the drop down box, you can choose the type of record you want to create (MX, A, TXT, CNAME, NS, SRV or IPv6).

The second box is where you name your sub domain (forum, blog, or whatever).

The third box is where you define what you want your record to answer. For example, if you create an A record, you will answer an IP address. If you create a CNAME then you can answer a domain name or sub domain (for instance, if you are trying to resolve your Blogger.com account, you will type 'ghs.google.com' into this box).

I hope this is helpful! :)

I don't know too much about cnames, but it almost sounds like it would just be easier to do some forwards.

If i were you. Id just create 2 subdomains.

blog.name.com
forum.name.com

With your domain controll panel, set blog.name.com to goto your blog "in a frame"
Set forum.name.com to goto the forum.

Then if you want, you can make an index page and host it on one of the free hosts here, with small ammount of information and links to your forum and blog. Puting that at name.com

If you want to do that, i can give you some webspace to use since it would be minimal bandwidth.

Back