• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Help Me!! - Namezero's Denying Their 'special' Promotion!?!?!

Cellery

Hi all,

I am in urgent need of ALL your help!

Earlier this year I had to renew a .com domain name with Namezero. At the time they had a 'special' deal going on whereby those already with Namezero accounts could renew their domain name for $29.95: they promised 2 years extension (i.e. expires in 2004) & also were giving the equivalent .net & .org extensions inclusive in the renewal price.

I renewed my domain name with this 'special' deal & later checked in their domain search engine to make sure that I had all 3 domain extensions ... I did (at that time anyway). All 3 extensions even showed up in my account.

However, earlier this week, I checked again ... to my surprise, my .net & .org now no longer show up in my account & appear as 'available in Namezero's search engine!!

Obviuosly, being rather angry about the matter, I tried to contact Namezero. First I tried their Plus-member email support form, but that didn't seem to work (it seemed to think I was a FREE member!!). Then I tried phoning Namezero & strangely enough, they denied having the 'special' offer that I thought I was paying for!!

If anybody remembers the 'special' offer i'm referring to & if anyone cached Namezero's site at the time (this was in early January) I would like to hear from you - either post in this thread or contact me at cellery@hushmail.com ...

Even if any of you have had a similar experience with Namezero, I'd still like to hear from you ASAP!!

Thanx ...

Originally posted by Cellery
Earlier this year I had to renew a .com domain name with Namezero. At the time they had a 'special' deal going on whereby those already with Namezero accounts could renew their domain name for $29.95: they promised 2 years extension (i.e. expires in 2004) & also were giving the equivalent .net & .org extensions inclusive in the renewal price.

They were offering a .com, a .net and a .org for 2 years for only $29.95 inclusive? Thats 3 domains x 2 years=6. $29.95/6=$5.
$5 per domain per year? Are you sure? Including the Namezero redirect & email services?

Originally posted by MindRash
What is wholesale? Im very interested
Every .com, .net and .org domain sold puts $6 in Verisign's pocket as the Registry. This is the lowest wholesale domain cost for the gTLD domains.

-t

But what about internic/ICANN? Don't they give out 'lisences' to 'acredited' people, or does verisign take care of that?

I'm sorry MindRash, I don't understand your question.

ICANN accredited Registrars can buy direct from the Registry. Accredited Registrars pay ICANN a large annual fee, and have to have liquid assets of $70K or more (plus agree with terms and conditions, yada, yada, yada).

The Registry sets the wholesale price.

Verisign is the Registry for the gTLD which contains .com, .net and .org (as well as some ccTLD domains that they recently purchased).

Therefor Verisign gets $6 for every gTLD domain sold.

ICANN gets nothing directly.

-t

NameZero had a 'support' forum when they started but it hasn't been there for well over a year. It was just a bitch forum. Maybe there is an 'unofficial' forum?

HEY EVERYONE, LISTEN UP!!!

I'd like to straighten out a few things:

1.) Yes 'Super8', I had already done the math before paying Namezero - it did come to about $5 per domain - but remember, we're talking about Namezero, the same company that was offering FREE domain registration for all three extensions in 2001. With the deal I paid for this year (2002), they were giving away the .net & .org FREE if I renewed my .com for $29.95 & were allowing 2 years extension for all 3 (which I obviously went ahead with). The promotion was the only reason why I went & renewed my domain name with Namezero - if I KNEW I was JUST going to get the .com & be ripped off, I would've registered it with 'Reg2C.com' or 'GoDaddy.com' instead.

Oh, and 'Super8', believe me, I KNOW what I was being offered at the time - I DO have eyes & I VERY carefully read over that promotion at least 10 times before going ahead with the payment. You're gonna' have to believe me; my mind's as sharp as a razor! So don't question me; if anyone DOES want to question my 'claims', then I'd rather they didn't post in this thread please!

You also have to consider the fact that until now, all 3 domain extensions were actually shown under my account - until recently, my account had a drop-down-box where I could select which domain I wanted to configure - I was able to access my domain through all 3 domain extensions after the online payment had been made.

2.) By the way 'JustinSurfer' - what thread URL were you trying to point me to??! Your link points back to THIS thread!!

3.) One other thing; please stay focused on the topic in question (i.e. Namezero). In other words, PLEASE DON'T make off-topic posts in this thread!

Sorry if I've offended anyone with this post, but I hope you all understand that I started this thread so that hopefully someone may be able to HELP me rather than take Namezero's side!

... Thanx ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"... Keep it Real ..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Have you, or did you, do a WHOIS on the names? You didn't mention this. Your Namezero services may have been terminated but the names may still be in your name (if they ever were).
They can't take away the names if you were the registrant.
If you had a Plus account then you would be listed as the Registrant, Admin and Technical contacts. Namezero would have been listed as the Billing contact. I use www.internic.ca for my WHOIS lookups.
I don't doubt you but I never heard of that offer. I have a .com with them (leaving next week), but they registered the .net and .org and tried to sell them to me at $19.99 each. They do seem to have 'offers of the week' tho so its hard to keep up.

Re: HEY EVERYONE, LISTEN UP!!!

3.) One other thing; please stay focused on the topic in question (i.e. Namezero). In other words, PLEASE DON'T make off-topic posts in this thread!
calm down
Sorry if I've offended anyone with this post, but I hope you all understand that I started this thread so that hopefully someone may be able to HELP me rather than take Namezero's side!
I haven't taken namezeros side

Unfortunately, there seems to have been a big 'cock-up' with the WHOIS record when Namezero renewed my domain!

The WHOIS record didn't update to my details until I realised just recently that my .com was still in Namezero's name!! It was only after phoning them & complaining just recently that the WHOIS record showed my name & details!

The thing is, when I renewed my domain/s earlier this year, I didn't really spend much time dwelling on the fact that the domain names still showed up as belonging to Namezero!!
I didn't spend much time worrying about the WHOIS record as I figured that maybe it would update pretty soon. I have to admit , I was pretty 'foolish' NOT to follow-up the matter with them at the time!! The thing is, I was rather 'pre-occupied' with other things & I didn't even think that Namezero would be so 'troublesome' & 'deceitful'! Anyhow, I had printed out the online receipt saying that all 3 domain names had been registered for 2 years, so I thought I didn't have anything to worry about ... (obviously, I was wrong!). They've told me that the printout of the receipt isn't enough proof for them!

The strange thing is, after renewing the domain name/s in January, about a day later the WHOIS database showed the record as expiring sometime on 2004. Now, when I recently checked the WHOIS record for my .com (before phoning Namezero) it showed the record expiration as being 'March 3, 2002'! My .com expired sometime last year (2001) - I renewed it in January, 2002, so its pretty odd that the WHOIS record showed March 3 2002 !!?? Perhaps someone 'fiddled' my account in some way or maybe a 'sick' Namezero staff member's been messing around with my domain/s?!?!

Its also pretty strange how its taken 3 months for the WHOIS record to update to my details!! Normally, it takes about a day or two?!??

Currently, my .net & .org now show up as 'available' in the WHOIS record, but at the time of renewing, they had the same details (Namezero WHOIS details) as my .com.

As you can see, i'm pretty 'screwed'; I don't have enough evidence to actually PROVE my 'case' even though I know in my own mind that the promotion DID exist at the time I renewed my account!! I don't know what the hell Namezero's playing at, but i'm going to make sure that I get to the bottom of this!!

Surely, there must me SOMEONE out there who registered or renewed domain names with Namezero around January this year?? I'm pretty sure I can't be the ONLY one who got their 'special' promotion in January?!?!?

I did a newsgroup search at http://groups.google.com and found this (you may find some others):
http://shorterlink.com/?TSARDV
Sept 2000
"We will register your Namezero domain in up to two of its remaining domain extensions. For example, if your initial Namezero domain was in the .COM extension, we will register its .NET and .ORG counterparts, assuming they are both available. We will notify you by email with the Web addresses that were successfully registered for you free of charge.
Remember, there's absolutely nothing required by you in order to receive up to two additional domain extensions!"

I never received this email, but they did try to sell me the .net and .org. I renewed in January but never had the other extensions, so never got that renewal option either.

Hope this helps. At least it proves that you're not going crazy & did get that offer.
:)

Back