• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Help!: Broken Maxtor One Touch hard drive

carlito

Recently the metal part surrounding the hole (err is that what it's called? ^_^) of my Maxtor One Touch external hard drive came loose, and now the USB cord simply won't go in. In other words - it's completely broken.

My question is - what should I do? I bought it years ago off ebay so any kind of warranty is out of the question. Is it worth taking it to a computer place and paying x amount to get it serviced? The data on there wasn't terribly important but would be nice to get back, for sure.

Has anyone had a similar experience before?

Just dismantel the thing and find out what kind of drive is in there.
Then spend $20 on a new case for it ;)

EDIT: Infact, your in Melbourne, head down to a Swap Meet tomorrow and youll get a new case for probably $10

Thanks for your replies. I don't have a PC so sander's suggestion isn't feasible.

fnixws, could you please explain exactly what a case is (I'm a complete newbie, be kind :p) and give me more details about this Swap Meet?

Thanks heaps guys!

First, you need to check what size the hard drive is. Is it a 2.5 inch or 3.5 inch? These are 2 different enclosures. The 2.5inch is for the external hard drives that typically don't need an external power source (and will fit as a laptop hard drive).

You just need a new enclosure that will fit your hard drive (a new case) to put the drive in so your comptuer can read it. There is also a USB reader that can read hard drives. Not sure how much they cost though but they are typically more expensive than the cases.

First, you need to check what size the hard drive is. Is it a 2.5 inch or 3.5 inch? These are 2 different enclosures. The 2.5inch is for the external hard drives that typically don't need an external power source (and will fit as a laptop hard drive).

You just need a new enclosure that will fit your hard drive (a new case) to put the drive in so your comptuer can read it. There is also a USB reader that can read hard drives. Not sure how much they cost though but they are typically more expensive than the cases.

Since he didn't specify "One touch mini" it's safe to assume that it's 3.5"

If it's mini, it must be a 2.5" drive so go for a 2.5" enclosure.

With a tiny bit of research, it seems like the drive is SATA so you'll need a 2.5" SATA enclosure!

Thank you so much for the help! You guys are lifesavers!!

As I don't have a credit card I guess I'll ebay it. Hurruh.

Cheers. PS: Anyone have any recommendations re model/brand/etc?

Update: the hard drive does not appear to have screws anywhere on its body - it appears to have been vacuumed shut. How am I supposed to open it then? pirate2

Thank you so much for the help! You guys are lifesavers!!

As I don't have a credit card I guess I'll ebay it. Hurruh.

Cheers. PS: Anyone have any recommendations re model/brand/etc?

Vantec is really good

Update: the hard drive does not appear to have screws anywhere on its body - it appears to have been vacuumed shut. How am I supposed to open it then? pirate2

try reading this: http://www.techsupportforum.com/1217631-post3.html

Back