• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

HELP ASAP! Need new host, average requirements but LOTS of bandwidth .....

mikhail

Ok, my site just got kicked off DPN, probably because we used up too much bandwidth, althought they advertised "unlimited" transfers. Buttcrap on that. Anyhow, it's probably time we moved on to a dedicated server anyway. I got between $50-100 to spend per month. Here's what I need:

250mb space
support for Perl, SSI, CGI
unique IP
FTP login, preferably several "partial" accounts too
unlimited (or like 20) pop3 accounts, email forwarding too
LOTS of bandwidth (maybe close to 100gb/month to be safe)

Anyone know of another service similar to DPN that advertises "ulimited transfers"? Or at least a relatively cheap dedicated server company?

That Rackshack hosting claims "ulimited hits and transfers" for the $10/month virtual server. Exactly how much transfer do you think I could get away with on that plan? And are they as reliable as DPN?

unlimited is always a high risk, but maybe it's different with rackshack, who knows?

Originally posted by mikhail
Exactly how much transfer do you think I could get away with on that plan?
10, maybe 20 gigs? There is no way you're going to get the kind of transfer you want on some kind of so-called "unlimited" plan.

Well how about this then (I don't know how to exactly calculate bandwidth). We get about 100-150k hits per month. About 25% are to the front page, no more than 500k. The other 75% are hits to pages with articles, which can be about 2-3mb each (about 10-15 thumbnails, each about 20-30k + text). This number keeps going up steadily. How much would that be per month?

Wait a minute... that just doesn't add up. That would be almost 400 gigs.

You should Get an RAQ from RackShack no virtual/shared hosting provider will accomdate that kind of data transfer.

Ok next questions.

1) How reliable is RackShack/where can I find user reviews/ratings?
2) If I go over 300gb/month, will they still let me be there but just charge more? And if so, how much more?

Originally posted by mikhail
Ok next questions.

1) How reliable is RackShack/where can I find user reviews/ratings?
2) If I go over 300gb/month, will they still let me be there but just charge more? And if so, how much more?

For goodness sakes! Why do you over 100GB of bandwidth?

its going to be tough finding them at that price. I think rackshack and 4webspace are the only places you will find those rates.

Originally posted by Giancarlo

For goodness sakes! Why do you over 100GB of bandwidth?
If you would have read his post...

We get about 100-150k hits per month. About 25% are to the front page, no more than 500k. The other 75% are hits to pages with articles, which can be about 2-3mb each

He needs a lot closer to 400 GB, Giancarlo.

Dang, this'll be costly. Thanks for the forums, already registered, will ask there. Hope I can get site back up before the weekend, I'll let you guys know of final decision tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for the help, any more suggestions?

Back