• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Have any of you ever used "Spaceports?"

FusionXL

PLZ read (dont ignore)

Have any of you ever used "Spaceports?" They say they offer this:unlimited space
up to 20 GB of transfer for your site per month
a free domain name
your own cgi-bin
PHP scripting
MySQL database support
helpful user forums and real-time support chat rooms

It seems like a really great deal. Do you think they're worth trying out?

Their unlimited space is a lie! You probably won't get any more than 20 mb from them now due to them being too paranoid!

a free domain name? You mean a subdomain, there isn't a free provider on this planet that would give you a free domain, event the namezero people wont give you one free, they put that stupid ad bar on the bottom.

It's through a program that they run with their ad banners. You get a percent of the money that comes from banner clicks on your site and after so many clicks you get a free domain. It is hard to do, but yes, it IS possible to get a free domain name and they do give them out. IMO they were the best until they started using the ad-frames :(.

umm I remember back in the day when they had unlimited space, god every warez, abandon, and mp3 site on the net used them, then they put those restrictions on it and wamo! They got crappy. But for a free service I think their plan is pretty good in words but the odds of getting $70 bucks a year in click on a pop-up they put on your page is null to null.

Years ago I had a site there, I think it's still up. The site was nothing to brag about (th eugly thing used frames, ugh). They were a really good host, even at on epoint you didn't need to put a banner on the page. That changed due to loss of money, and eventually the changed to these ad frames. This ad frame isn't anything like Namezero used, it actually covors the bottom and the right side of the page. So you basically have this big, ugly grey border with ads in it. Stay away, far away.

Just my $0.02.

They give you a domain that you dont even get to pick.

For example; luna.spaceports.com/~yourname, scorpius.spaceports.com/~yourname, orion.spaceports.com/~yourname.

And you do not get to choose which one you want. Like everyone has said, huge ad frames.

The only thing I can say for them is that they are reliable and fast, IMO.

Phan

Originally posted by Oooska
Years ago I had a site there, I think it's still up. The site was nothing to brag about (th eugly thing used frames, ugh). They were a really good host, even at on epoint you didn't need to put a banner on the page. That changed due to loss of money, and eventually the changed to these ad frames. This ad frame isn't anything like Namezero used, it actually covors the bottom and the right side of the page. So you basically have this big, ugly grey border with ads in it. Stay away, far away.

Just my $0.02.

Wha? The ad frame is a single 60-pixel-tall frame at the bottom of your page. It doesn't cover the "bottom and the right side" of the page.

Originally posted by Phrozen

It did for the first couple of days after it was implemented.

That's correct, and it was promptly removed and has only been a single 60-pixel-tall frame for months now.

yep.

but you can't acess these directory from other sites, just from xxxxx.spaceports.com/~xxxxx or directly cgi-bin.spaceports.com/~xxxx

no way to use a short domain like go.to/xxxx ... :-/

and the space are limited do 10mb, and/or 1000 files.

-------------------
Do you know B-612? - http://www.lepetitprince.com/ - the home of Petit Prince

i signed up for a cgi-bin.spaceports.com account 3 weeks ago and everytime i login to their ftp i get this message and cant upload

425 Can't build data connection: Permission denied.
ERROR:> File error

anyone have any ideas why?

I just rechecked my old site (just found out the address... god that thing was ugly :D). You're right, though I seem to remember checking it 2 months ago or so and it still had those really big ugly ad frames (which messed up my frames). In either case, tehy've changed it now, so they might be worth a look. However there are hosts out there that are just as good, if not better without those ugly ads...

Back