• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Has anyone tried a VPS yet?

Milovan

I was wondering how many of you have a VPS (Virtual Private Server). Does who have it, will you share your experience with us? How many of you worked on one and how many of you did not? Is there anyone who is not familiar with the VPS technology and is browsing this forum?

Cheers,
Milovan

I don't mind VPS, aslong as I'm guaranteed a specific amount of resources, for which I pay for.

VPS is a solid choice for the more power-hungry among us, though I'd much prefer to go dedicated.

VPS is much more powerful than a reseller account (let alone shared) and it doesn’t have that many boundaries at all. You can do almost anything that you would do with a dedicated server ("almost" is because you can't recompile kernel for example – not that you need though), so you can just imagine how great a VPS is over a reseller account. You can install your own application, you can reboot the VPS whenever you wish, you have a root/administrator access (depending on the OS), your sites won't be affected by other VPS's on the server, etc.

It just might be that people aren't informed very well about VPS technology.. If anyone has any questions about it, I'd be more than willing to answer them.

actually, with a big site, I would like to use a big reseller or a semi-dedicated account, or going with dedicated server if it's really big, not VPS. VPS is limitted by CPU and memory.

I'm just wondering, how do you define semi-dedicated? There's no such thing really. Are you referring to a dedicated server split up in multiple pieces? If so: that is also a VPS. A VPS can have just about any size really. We even have VPS accounts running with like 4GB ram each (per VPS) for customers who need a lot of RAM..

gate2vn said:
VPS is limitted by CPU and memory.

So are a dedicated server and shared hosting.. The advantage of VPS technology is that you can easily increase the resources you need. For instance you can start out with 256mb RAM and a bit of CPU, but you can upgrade to a lot more RAM and a lot more CPU without any downtime.

With a dedicated server, you'd first be starting out with a small server, but once you run out of resources you have to get a completely new server, migrate everything (possibly with downtime).

Also, I thought I'd clarify something else about VPS technology as well:

Some customers need a lot of resources. We have servers with only 2 VPS accounts on it, so basically 2 customers share the same server. I assume that's what you would call semi dedicated, but keep in mind you are still using VPS technology to do that :)

"semi-dedicated", "virtual dynamic servers", "virtual dedicated servers", "virtual environments"... there are lots of terms used but actually it's all the same.

VPS accounts come in just about any size really, many (large) VPS accounts are also more powerful than small dedicated servers.

Milovan said:
I'm just wondering, how do you define semi-dedicated? There's no such thing really. Are you referring to a dedicated server split up in multiple pieces? If so: that is also a VPS.
I am not saying about VPS. "a dedicated server split up in multiple pieces" is NOT VPS. If you want, you can visit our semi-dedicated page or googling :)

Milovan said:
A VPS can have just about any size really. We even have VPS accounts running with like 4GB ram each (per VPS) for customers who need a lot of RAM..
wow... I would like to have a VPS with 4GB RAM. Can I know your host server with its max RAM? 8GB? 16GB? If I have money enough for 4GB RAM, I definitely go with dedicated server, not VPS

Milovan said:
So are a dedicated server and shared hosting.. The advantage of VPS technology is that you can easily increase the resources you need. For instance you can start out with 256mb RAM and a bit of CPU, but you can upgrade to a lot more RAM and a lot more CPU without any downtime.

With a dedicated server, you'd first be starting out with a small server, but once you run out of resources you have to get a completely new server, migrate everything (possibly with downtime).

Yes, everything is limited, but I believe I have more power with dedicated servers :) and how do you define "downtime"? I am not wrong, you will need to reboot the VPS when upgrading, so can I call it's downtime? You can have less downtime, but not something like "without any downtime"

I don't think VPS is the solution for more power. What VPS does give you is more control and options. More flexibility. A pit-stop before dedicated solutions. Example, you want the ability to create reseller accounts, have full root access and install your own specific requirements, but you can't afford dedicated. Maybe VPS is for you. But if you are looking for power, high performance as well, dedicated is for you. You can upgrade VPS, but for a high grade VPS plan and a dedicated server with the same specs, the price range would be very similar.
We have clients using vps and they all seem very happy with no complaints. Then again, none of them have had a dedicated server yet.

Back