• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Harry Potter 7.....then??

I'm the type that doesn't like to follow the crowd. I've seen clips here and there of it and it's not something I'd like to spend my time to read about or watch it. If people hype it up, I take a step back and look from the outside. I'll admit there are some things that I get into even if people hype it up (like the Wii) but only after I find out for myself.
So if many people like something, you automatically dislike it? Sounds pretentious.

I've read all the books, they're good.

There are only going to be 7 (duh) and who knows what happens in the last one? Harry has some Horcruxes to find and destroy... would make an awesome jRPG.

as far as i know, JKR had the idea of harry potter first when she was on her way to london from manchester by train.

It was then when she planned to write the book as a series( 7 Hogwarts years)

She once said that the 7th book will be the last, but thats nt sure yet.

I've read the first 3 books and watched all the movies... that's about my extent of Harry Potter. However I've never seen one in the theatre, just on my Cathode Ray Tube :p

well good luck with that theory.

um, abush, while i respecct your opinion not to read whatever, would you deny that JKR has done a good thing by getting so many children reading?

So if many people like something, you automatically dislike it? Sounds pretentious.

Yea, that's just as bad as blindly following trends. True individuals / non-conformists like what they like regardless of whether it is popular or not. Purposely hating something/refusing to acknowledge it simply because it is popular is just senseless.

I've read all the Harry Potters.. 4th one was definitely the best. As for what will happen.. I also kind of assume Harry will meet his demise. However, she could be leading us to believe that just to trick us ;).

Incidentally I'm not really sure how anybody could HATE these books. The movies leave a lot to be desired, yes (except for the 3rd one, it was really very good), but the books are very enjoyable/addictive.

would you deny that JKR has done a good thing by getting so many children reading?

In the grand scope of things i don't think she helped children at all. These kids are reading fantasy books, it's escapism just like a person playing video games or watching a whole bunch of movies. Unless you can control it, it just leads to more escapism.

I'd rather they read a newspaper or learn something new, not waste money on fantasizing about becoming some wizard.
Last i checked, you can fantasize for free, and all that stuff in the movies was very generic and standard in my opinion. I'd rather they learn about the world around them and make a difference.

In the grand scope of things i don't think she helped children at all. These kids are reading fantasy books, it's escapism just like a person playing video games or watching a whole bunch of movies. Unless you can control it, it just leads to more escapism.

I'd rather they read a newspaper or learn something new, not waste money on fantasizing about becoming some wizard.
Last i checked, you can fantasize for free, and all that stuff in the movies was very generic and standard in my opinion. I'd rather they learn about the world around them and make a difference.

Personally I'd rather my children have fun and escape while they can. Reading gives them a good background to assist with further education, interest in learning, enjoyment of other books.

Unless you can control it? Contral what? A child having an imagination? Having fun? Disctracting themselves from the bully at school, the fights their parents are having, etc? We're talking about children here.

Reading gives them a good background to assist with further education, interest in learning, enjoyment of other books. Unless you can control it? Contral what? A child having an imagination? Having fun? Disctracting themselves from the bully at school, the fights their parents are having, etc?

Yes, reading does help further education, but it's what they read is what's important. I read fantasy books and played games to escape from school and life, not to enhance it. Rather than dealing with the world around them and solving real problems, they run away.
These books are so cookie-cutter, the same stuff rehashed. I had so much fun as a kid making up new worlds and new ideas with my friends. These books put constraints on what they think is real fantasy. Fantasy is whatever you want it to be, why does it usually involve a mage/wizard and some magic spells?:rolleyes: If you actually look for it, the world is more magical than all those books combined.

The bully at school? problems with their parents?
As a human being you learn to deal with problems, and learn to be honest to yourself and what you really want. What kind of parent tells their kid to just forget the bully at school and go play video games instead? I used to run away from my problems, but now i realize it's so counter-productive to do that. I'm 21 and i regret not realizing this sooner. When i was young i loved reading those little science books, full of pictures and facts. Making little chemistry experiments and playing with electronics. But i had very little of that growing up, but the kids today have a tremendous amount of that stuff available, even now i look at these kits that look so cool, i would've done anything to get one as a kid. But what do they do? What do the parents do? they just get them a game or game console. You want your kids to be smart? teach them something.

Watching a few movies a week, playing a few video games, reading a book now and then, even drinking a little alcohol (which i don't do), it's all fine when in control. But everyone knows what happens when it gets out of control, you become dependent on it. You know who i'm talking about. Those star wars/star trek/magic the gathering/pokemon/World of Warcraft/Everquest/harry potter/alcoholics/potheads and so on and so on, who spend a tremendous amount of time and money on something that's not even real. People spend their life fortunes on first editions of comics, toys (oh sorry, action figure) and stuff that keeps them happy momentarily. Some people have died over this bull----, am i the only one who finds that odd?

It's far cheaper and easier to just not give into these things, and that fits my lifestyle because i'm one lazy mofo.
Have fun, especially when you're a kid. Relax everyone, you've earned it.
But don't act like it's not addictive.
I would rather my kid(s) have their own adventures and write their own true stores, rather than follow some kid who's definitely going to die in the 7th book :lol:

Im trying not to be rude, as that would probably get me banned, but i think you have to look at things from a less narrow and frankly ridiculous perspective.

There is a BIG difference between playing a Video Game, and reading the harry potter books. I have read fantasy all my life, and i am quite sure that reading has helped not only to advance my imagination, but to augment my knowledge base and ability to use the English language.

Would you say that it is better to read nothing at all than to read fanatasy novels? If anything, Harry potter has brought US and the rest of the world out of their playstation culture.

You will be told when doing ANY Art, whether that is acting, writing, painting or composing, having an imagination is never a bad thing.

You say that people read fantasy to escape the real world and to aviod their troubles. While i usually would respect other peoples rigght to opinions i would say that in this case you are wrong.

For heaven sake, the only book more widely read than harry potter is the BIBLE.

Infact, lets consider the bible for a second, or any other religious book you care to mention (Torah, Quran...etc). These ALL contain elemtents of fantasy in them, and yet they are not pointless because they help people to live their lives, they help people who have little else,

THE SAME APPLIES IN THE CASE OF FANTASY,

You talk about facing up to problems, but what you forget, is that most people who read these books are less than 14 years old. THESE PEOPLE DONT UNDERSTAND MOST OF THEIR OWN PROBLEMS, SO HOW CAN THEY FACE UP TO THEM??

In the end, the factor which with a somewhat infinite finality proves the error of your comments, is the fact that people gain enjoyment out of something, which causes no harm to anyone else, It is Not bad,

and hats off to JKR, and any other fantasy author who like me, gleans fun from giving people a little bit of a story once in a while, Under NO pretense of realism!!

As far as i know, i never said it was bad to read fantasy.
You only need to read a few fantasy books to get the jist of things, unfortunately.
I used to read alot of sci fi and fantasy, and watched it too, but i'm just not impressed anymore. These authors/readers are actually lacking in imagination which is very sad. They actually think that's the way it's supposed to be, rather than whatever they want.
I said it's constraining to imaginative thought.
It's not out of the box thinking.
Do you remember when you didn't understand something and your imagination went wild with ideas?
Look at all the religions/beliefs of the world, and how they all came to different answers to similar questions. Possible due to starting with different core values/beliefs, and they built on them. If you start with a common framework, then the results will be similar.

I said it's what you read that's important for a child's education, reading is good for developing minds. But real life experiences are even better than anything that is predetermined and planned out by some author. The story of Harry Potter is what's interesting, but the story of your father who fought in the Vietnam War is even better(my personal example).
I'm mostly talking about escapism, in general, things that we do to distract ourselves. That is a very broad spectrum, including what i'm doing at this very moment. Of course it's going to ruffle some feathers, perhaps quite alot. Nobody likes their toes to be stepped on. Alcoholics don't like to be told that their alcoholics, addicts in general don't like being told that their addicts, they deny deny deny.

I was fat when i was young, and i got picked on quite alot. I've had bullies and i dealt with them in different ways, and this was mostly before turning 14. From then on, problems were broken down and dealt with, something that you learn through experience. When i was 5-6 my parents trusted me to stay home by myself. My parents knew i wasn't going to do anything stupid, i knew how to make basic meals, i stayed out of trouble. It was no big deal. Are kids today not able to do this? seriously?

You're right, it really doesn't hurt anybody to read Harry Potter. My thoughts went beyond just Harry Potter though. Harry Potter is not original in my opinion, it's in fact a franchise, and many an artist could argue that JKR sold out. It's one thing to spread a message in good faith, it's another to profit from it. She got plenty of money from the books, but now movies, games, toys? wtf?

And since you referenced the Bible:
The only important parts in the Bible are what Jesus said and did. Everything else can easily be learned in everyday life, and through common sense. Jesus, Mohammed, and Buddha shared very similar values, and perhaps that's what made people want to follow them, because what they said was very special indeed. Definitely not things that most people could figure out on their own.

I also find it interesting that both arguers have symbols of their semi-addictions(i use that loosely, i'm not trying to offend), one an avatar of an anime character, i'm guessing from Naruto? and the other a signature about Zelda? i'm not surprised.

Real life could be more interesting if perhaps people read other books. For example, did you know you don't have to pay income tax? in the next few years driver licenses will have RFID chips in them?
Voting machines can be hacked to steal votes, without any evidence being left behind?
This is not only true for America but for other countries as well.
In the coming years, things are going to get very hairy. Businesses and governments have a vested interested in keeping you busy and distracted. I'm not saying stop what you're doing, by all means enjoy your chosen life. But please control it, the earlier you understand self-control the better, any organization that treats addicts will tell you that. I'm not trying to make Harry Potter sound like cocaine people, but when i see anybody wait in line for hours or days for anything other than the bare essentials to live, i wonder where we as a species are going towards. I would rather give money to somebody who's starving to death than to a book that brings nothing new to the table. i'm sorry this is so long, i always have to much to say, sorry.

Last edited:
I think she'll stop with max 10. Anything more than that would be killing the series by dragging it too long {personally i think 7 will do, maybe 8}

And yes, i think harry may meet his demise in the end of the series, she has already killed some of the important characters that no one expected - sirius - dumbledore {i hate it when she did that}

Emh, Jo stated OFFICIALLY years ago that Book 7 (which I can now reveal is named Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows) will be the last of the HP Books. Dont go starting the "Book 7 isnt the last book" rumor again Fahad ;) According to Jo, HPDH should be about the same size as Book5. She also stated that two major characters will be killed in Book7 and that she will end it in such a way that no other author can write a sequel to it....

As to the theory that Harry and Voldemort will fuse together and form one entity, well, JK just busted the theory on her website, http://jkrowling.com

Also, to KJoe, you are wrong, JK didnt get the idea of HP in 1991, she got the idea in 1996 and finished book1 in 1997.... she's now finished about half of book7 :)

Really, didnt you guys ever visit any HP site like Mugglenet or Veritaserum??

While you are at it, you can mabye go to my site http://hpbeyond.net and look around for other stuff Jo said bout Book7 :) cheers!

Last edited:
Some people in this thread read into books WAY too much.

Read them, fine. But you're just obsessed.

Back