• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

H I V Breakthrough [edited]

Dean

i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!
NLC
KOBE, Japan, July 6 (UPI) -- Japanese researchers have developed a durable new drug that blocks HIV from entering human cells and causes almost no side effects.

The new drug, code named AK602, was unveiled by Hiroaki Mitsuya, leader of the research team at Kumamoto University, at the International Congress on AIDS in Asia and the Pacific in Kobe Tuesday, the Asahi Shimbun reported Wednesday.

The drug's main feature is that it shuts out the AIDS virus at the point when it tries to intrude into a human cell.

Current AIDS medications often lose their effectiveness after a few days due to the virus' resistance, but the AK602 reacts to human cells instead of attacking the virus, said Mitsuya, a university professor.

When the new drug becomes attached to the protein that acts as an entrance into human cells for the AIDS virus, it can prevent HIV from entering.

The researchers conducted clinical tests on 40 AIDS patients in the United States. When the patients took 0.02 ounces of AK602 twice a day for 10 days, the number of HIV viruses dropped to an average of 1 percent.

Almost no side effects were reported, the professor said.
http://news.google.com/news?q=Kumamoto University&hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&safe=off&sa=N&tab=wn

Yeah, but what if it's...

"Not HIV but FULL-BLOWN AIDS!"

With that aside, they'll have a cure for everything soon enough.

Sweet!

I agree, within 20 years major illnesses like Cancer, Alzheimers, Parkinsons etc. will all be cureable.

Shame the U.S. government has limit the type of research and funding needed to help find cures for those illnesses. I truely believe that stem cells may be able to those suffering from some fo the major dieases like MS.

Robert said:
Shame the U.S. government has limit the type of research and funding needed to help find cures for those illnesses. I truely believe that stem cells may be able to those suffering from some fo the major dieases like MS.

Yeah, but they are investing on the fuel cell of the future, that will somehow help reduce the global warming if it's implemented worldwide. Or at least that is what I believe.

MATRIX said:
Yeah, but they are investing on the fuel cell of the future, that will somehow help reduce the global warming if it's implemented worldwide. Or at least that is what I believe.

Yeah, tell that to millions of children that die cause of AIDS. Im sure they will understand that US cares more about fuel and bombs than lil kids.

Im sure they will understand.

MATRIX said:
According to George Bush global warming is non-existant. :rolleyes:

Dean, there have been plenty of breakthroughs like this already with HIV. The problem is that HIV is a virus. Scientists have never been able to cure any virus, not even the common cold. The drug you're talking about doesn't cure HIV, it simply prevents its spread. There's been other drugs that do this in the past, the problem is that the HIV virus changes so much, and there are so many new and different forms of it today it's almost impossible to make a drug that will help every single one of them.

Also that's only half the battle, the other half would be to then kill all HIV-infected cells. This is still not a cure, HIV will never be truly curable. The best they'll ever be able to do is prevent it's spread and then kill your infected cells. And to Robert, no one has ever tried to stop stem-cell research, in fact the Catholic Church (I'm not Catholic) funded their own stem-cell research. The results of it showed that stem-cells from adults are just as useful as stem-cells from embryos. Human embryos are not a scientific resource, they're humans in the early stages of development. Their stem-cells certainly shouldn't be used scientifically.

Meksilon,

He's just posting an article for others to see. Chances are he won't return to this thread. He's not here to argue.

Don't make this something it isn't.

I'm with jmiller on this one, why must even a good news story turn into an argument? Any breakthrough is a good thing.

Exactly, bozley05.
This is indeed good news, and the results are very promising:
"The researchers conducted clinical tests on 40 AIDS patients in the United States. When the patients took 0.02 ounces of AK602 twice a day for 10 days, the number of HIV viruses dropped to an average of 1 percent."

With all due respect, the thread title is misleading, because it isn't a *cure*, just a prevention to further spread.

Jan said:
With all due respect, the thread title is misleading, because it isn't a *cure*, just a prevention to further spread.
I just realized that as well, and was about to mention it, but you beat me to it. :p

May not be a cure, but it still brings hope.

Meksilon said:
And to Robert, no one has ever tried to stop stem-cell research, in fact the Catholic Church (I'm not Catholic) funded their own stem-cell research. The results of it showed that stem-cells from adults are just as useful as stem-cells from embryos. Human embryos are not a scientific resource, they're humans in the early stages of development. Their stem-cells certainly shouldn't be used scientifically.
Hate to feed the trolling, but I can't leave this alone.

Nobody has ever tried to stop stem-cell research you say? I beg to differ.

The head of (one of) the most powerful nations in fact codemns. Yes, he has the right to his own opinion. But that in fact proves that "someone" is trying to stop stem-cell research.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1116628056180_81?s_name=&no_ads=
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=778442

Last edited:
In the words of my *awesome* maths teacher...

If you can't get laid the day they cure AIDS, just chop it off.

Seriously though, it's nice to see society moving technology forward, instead of just compacting it.

Meksilon said:
And to Robert, no one has ever tried to stop stem-cell research, in fact the Catholic Church (I'm not Catholic) funded their own stem-cell research. The results of it showed that stem-cells from adults are just as useful as stem-cells from embryos. Human embryos are not a scientific resource, they're humans in the early stages of development. Their stem-cells certainly shouldn't be used scientifically.

Nobody ever tried to stop stem-cell research? Only the most powerful country, the U.S. Government has limited the type of research and the funding for our scientists to do it. With that "limited research and funding" it would take years for scientists to find any answers. Once Bush is out of office, things will change.

I'd like to see an article on how the Catholic Church has funded their own stem cell research. They were very much against Bush's plan to even allow a small portion of funding. I have a very very difficult time believing the Catholic Church would even fund a quarter of any research for stem cells.

Jan said:
Thankyou, and that's what I was pointing out. Everyone had high expectations and is getting their hopes up. Of course 90% of people expect HIV to be curable, but it simply is not possible. Killing infected cells is not a cure, it's amputation.

Jmiller, there are plenty of us against embryonic stem-cell research. No one has tried to stop adult stem-cell research. Bush is only against the use of embyos in the research.
Robert said:
I'd like to see an article on how the Catholic Church has funded their own stem cell research. They were very much against Bush's plan to even allow a small portion of funding. I have a very very difficult time believing the Catholic Church would even fund a quarter of any research for stem cells.
The Church did this, as I said, to show that stem-cells do not have to be taken from embryos to be useful scientifically. Their findings were unarguably a success. They were biased, because that's what they wanted to prove - but nevertheless that's what they found. There are plenty of scientists all over the world who are plenty happy with the stem cells they get from adults. There's only a few which have claimed that embryonic stem-cells are more useful. There are no limitations I've heard of in the US imposed on studying adult stem-cells, there are no such limitations in Australia. Link:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7283645/

Meksilon, thanks for the first paragraph + first two sentences of the second paragraph in your first post in this thread. It was informative and perfectly correct. Now if only the rest of your posts weren't trolling you might actually gain some respect around here.

Back