• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Greece bans video games

LOL! China may block the Internet, but they certainly aren't stopping the kids from playing Pokemon (which apparently is too popular here). :D

I found this part the funniest:

"The blanket ban was decided in February after the government admitted it was incapable of distinguishing innocuous video games from illegal gambling machines," the report said.

:biggrin2: :D

If I have to choose between China and Greece, I guess China's my choice then.

"The Greek government has banned all electronic games across the country, including those that run on home computers, on Game Boy-style portable consoles, and on mobile phones. Thousands of tourists in Greece are unknowingly facing heavy fines or long terms in prison for owning mobile phones or portable video games."

No mobile phones there I guess.

"Internet cafes will be allowed to continue to operate, providing no games-playing takes place. If a customer is found to be running any sort of game, including online chess, the cafe owner will be fined and the place closed. "

What a great risk.

And a note to Microsoft:

"In the meantime, Tipis told ZDNet UK, a lot of people in Greece are very worried about the new law. "They are taking it very seriously," he said. "It even affects the games that come with Windows. This law isn't the right one," he added. "It is unfair. It was introduced too quickly.""

Please don't use at all or use a different version of Windows for Greece users...

Last edited:
What happens if I'm running Lunix in greece? I bet the police officers would think it's a game. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by loggerheads
lol. The Greeks. plane spotters and video gamers. Their police have superb priorities.

You cannot take pictures at the airport because the greeks have their military airfield the other side of the runway and use the same runway for taking off and landing.

Mullin

yes, but British plane spotters on an organised tour took some pictures of old, crappy Greek planes, and were than arrested and held for weeks on suspicion of being spies. You're in the UK, I'm sure you noticed this story, and if you don't think it's insanely stupid, then erm, I have nothing more to say.

Originally posted by loggerheads
yes, but British plane spotters on an organised tour took some pictures of old, crappy Greek planes, and were than arrested and held for weeks on suspicion of being spies. You're in the UK, I'm sure you noticed this story, and if you don't think it's insanely stupid, then erm, I have nothing more to say.

EVERY Greek airport says

"Military zone, no camera's allowed" or something similar. Their massive signs on the walls all over the airports. You can't miss them! (well, mayby those plane spotters did:p)

Mullin

Look, I don't know any more than was in the newspapers, but at the end of the day, a slap on the wrists and plausibly deporting them would've been more than adequate punishment, they were treated as spies, when they were blatantly not. Greece does have one of the poorest human rights records in the EU (more or less a quote from several papers at the time), and this is just another example of that, albeit a bizarre one.

Back