• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Google Desktop

Wojtek

W as in Whisky
NLC
http://desktop.google.com/

Find your email, files, web history and chats instantly
View web pages you've seen, even when you're not online
Search as easily as you do on Google

Google Desktop Search finds:

- Outlook / Outlook Express Word
- AOL Instant Messenger Excel
- Internet Explorer PowerPoint
- Text

What'd ya think?

spyware? i don't see how. it doesn't state anywhere that it sends out information to google's main server.

what it might be could be a keylogger. if you use someone's comp to check email, and that machine has GDS... could that be a problem..?

stabme said:
spyware? i don't see how. it doesn't state anywhere that it sends out information to google's main server.

what it might be could be a keylogger. if you use someone's comp to check email, and that machine has GDS... could that be a problem..?
Perhaps you should thoroughly read the articles. :rolleyes:

stabme said:

it bypasses pretty much any sort of user-access levels when searching

but their claime is 'we don't intend it for use on computer with more than one user' =__=

that has no relevance to the topic whatsoever. It's not about keeping things secure, its a general right of privacy.

tandoc said:
that has no relevance to the topic whatsoever. It's not about keeping things secure, its a general right of privacy.
Then you should block that particular folder in the first place, just like how some sites keep indexing robots out of reach.

that's also irrelevant and incomparable to this. if a person simply didn't know that the google desktop application was installed on their computer (shared), how would they know to take extra caution with sensitive information or just information? is it fair to penalise them for something someone else has done?

sound interesting.... to have a nice little icon in the system tray you click and quickly access your search... But! i dont trust it even thou google says its all private the idea of this app routing around all my info and personal stuff sounds scary.. bet they would love to compile a database of what people got on their pcs.. i doubt its true but im happy to remain paranoid about it. :)

Last edited:
Back