• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Good deal for dedicated server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squad-Host.com

Cpu: 2 xIntel Xeon E5405 Harpertown 2.0GHz LGA 771
Mobo: Tyan Tank g20 b5375
Case: 1u rack with 600 watt powersupply
Memory: 8 x Kingston 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 ECC Registered
Harddrive: 2 x 250gb harddrive

Price: $1,600

Will this server be a beast? like will it be able to take on lots of gameservers on it or lots of shared webhosting clients?

Does any 1 know any good colocation in chicago?

Hello,

First of never host game servers and web hosting on the same server, that is a number one issue.

In regards to the server request. It all depends on the game servers, the kind of hard drive etc. You cannot simply plug specs of a machine and ask what will I be able to do as it really doesn't work that way for Game Servers.

I was in the industry for 3 years, I would say the Xeon could handle a good number of clients, but it depends, on the control panel, custom kernels, the games its hosting, the activity of those servers, etc etc.

And colochicago.com has some pretty good reviews. Your main concern is going to be insuring your on as many top level bandwidth providers as you can be, and see how many ips you get when you colocate.

The dedicated server is good. make sure that will be able to proceed all your tasks.
As for the collocation - difficult to say right now. If you do the search on the WHT (webhostingtalk.com) I believe you will get more information

It seems a tad high, but it looks okay, just continue to look around the net you may find it a bit cheaper.

Your Server, quoted above, though is quite a powerful one, will not, as much as it's not recommended, would not be able to handle having both Hosting Clients and Game Server Clients at the same time. It will only cause lag on the processes within the server.

If you're asking if your rig is worth the money:
It seems a tad high, but it looks okay, just continue to look around the net you may find it a bit cheaper.

Ditto.

does any one have any sites to buy / build own server ? cheap with dual quad cores lg771 or lg1366. i was prices it out on newegg for a dedicated and thats the cheapest i could make it.

server will not be used for both webhosting and gameservers at one time will be used for either or task not both at same time.

Hello,

Well were is the machine being sent to? Have you figured that out. I know I could build you a rig for cheaper, however shipping may be crazy.

machine being sent to me first then i will send to colo my self after i get it set up.

not getting that server any more looking into fallowing specs

Dual e5520 quad core (8 cores total)

16gb of ram 8 x 2gb ecc (must be ddr3 1066, e5520 only supports up to a memory speed of 1066 and 1333 will make server have slower boot times)

2x 500gb sata 3.0gb/s

server barbones 1u

looking to spend $1,800 or less USD.

newegg price is 1,800.

Last edited:
I don't believe you can buy a single server package. They come in 5,10,25,50,100 from my knowledge. However call the data center your racking it in they may be able to help.

Yep. The Microsoft site i've listed offers 5, and 20 (shown on the page) licenses. Though, like mentioned above, your Datacenter might be able to get you better deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back