• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

godaddy or 1and1 ?

aki

Contents: Adult
NLC
has any1 here tried both ? if yes, add ur comments about them plz. i never use them before and can't tell which 1 is better.

Don't you have to be a citizen of the us to register domains from 1and1?

Or was that like, a long time ago...?

Last edited:
what ?must be in us ? are they from 70's ? they know ppl buy stuff around the world nowaday LOL

Experience with 1and1 was good (registering domain only). I believe they are probably losing money as well as a compensation of attracting people to use their hosting services. Wish they had some whois security service like namesecure, I would pay the extra bit for it.

I went to GoDaddy to buy a domain name, but in the process I noticed that it was attaching what I would call "hidden fees" so I cancelled.

I was going to stick with my uni.cc "free domain" until I picked up a bit of interesting information while reading about Google's entry into the market:

The greatest domain cost efficiencies are available to hosting companies that are also ICANN-accredited registrars, such as 1&1 Internet of Germany, which offers .com domains at $5.99, the lowest non-promotional price of any major hosting provider. As a registrar, Google could have similar flexibility to aggressively price its domain names.
[1]

It's a good article overall, I encourage anyone to read it.

Mattias, I don't think 1&1 is losing money, I think they make their money in bulk orders.

I have a domain name with 1&1 but I'm experiencing difficulty configuring it with my hosting :cry2:
1&1 makes it easy if you have a hosting package with them, but more fiddling is required if you want to synchronize the domain with an external host (or at least this describes what is happening to me right now). I'd appreciate tips from anyone else with a 1&1 domain. :biggrin2:

Last edited:
Rhianna is right. I have 3 domains with them so far and they give u the domain + hosting free for an entire 6 months. It helps you out in case your not making money right off hand. It only give 500 email address even though I am used to unlimited but still a great service.

Romeo :)

i used to work for a registrar, and unless something has changed drastically in the past 6 months then they are loosing money, i would guess it is because they want people to use their hosting services, which i must say are awesome, i have my dedicated there and it is the bomb.

Also if you are only going to register domain names godaddy is probably the best to use just for that purpose, because of the domain control panel, i would not know about their hosting, but in my personal opinion, if you are going to use hosting services 1and1 is by far the best out there.

they have your customer control panel that is leaps and bounds above other control panels that allows you to purchase straight from the control panel and add to your account for billing on a specified date, i am a huge 1and1fan.

Last edited:
RyneCo said:
i used to work for a registrar, and unless something has changed drastically in the past 6 months then they are loosing money
The article I referenced in my above post said:
The greatest domain cost efficiencies are available to hosting companies that are also ICANN-accredited registrars, such as 1&1 Internet of Germany, which offers .com domains at $5.99, the lowest non-promotional price of any major hosting provider.

The quote would suggest that 1 & 1 is a stable business, no?
RyneCo said:
Also if you are only going to register domain names godaddy is probably the best to use just for that purpose
I almost did until I saw fees being tacked on.
I did not understand the additional fees.

When I read that 1 & 1 is an economical way to go, I registered there but my Ping request aren't pinging :cry2:

Back