• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

get remotly hosted boards instead of asking for php/mysql!

dsgdevil

i see alot of threads in this forum is people asking for hosting for there message board while their site is somewhere else or not even have a site.no free host would want to only host a board,they want to see ur whole site there.if u want a forum,go get a remotly hosted ones.there are hundreds and thousands of those and there are only few php/mysql host and the php/mysql host wont want to host a board because its simular to 10000000 others and a website is much more unique.what i'm saying is that people should just get remotly hosted boards.

Originally posted by dsgdevil
i see alot of threads in this forum is people asking for hosting for there message board while their site is somewhere else or not even have a site.no free host would want to only host a board,they want to see ur whole site there.if u want a forum,go get a remotly hosted ones.there are hundreds and thousands of those and there are only few php/mysql host and the php/mysql host wont want to host a board because its simular to 10000000 others and a website is much more unique.what i'm saying is that people should just get remotly hosted boards.

Yes... someone I agree with 100% if not more... Forum-only websites are a waste of time, to have a forum, you need a website to attract visitors. :biggrin2:

Wait i'm a tad bit confused is a remotely hosted bored one you host from your own bandwith? Er..one that You, yourself host? If someone could maybe give me a link explaining it.

Originally posted by Hobo
Wait i'm a tad bit confused is a remotely hosted bored one you host from your own bandwith? Er..one that You, yourself host? If someone could maybe give me a link explaining it.

A remotely-hosted message board is one that is hosted on a server that has been designated specifically for hosting message boards. For example, www.ezboard.com and www.aimoo.com :)

Originally posted by conkermaniac
A remotely-hosted message board is one that is hosted on a server that has been designated specifically for hosting message boards. For example, www.ezboard.com and www.aimoo.com :)

I think he was being facetious

but one reason people DONT WANT a REMOTE HOSTED BOARD is BECAUSE, from all the remote hosts I've seen, NONE gives you COMPLETE CONTROL, meaning, You can't upload your own theme, hacks/MODS, etc., ( some people don't want banner also )

just my .02cent

You're not able to mod or add hacks to a remotely hosted board... because you're not paying for it. A user is already receiving a free board with administrative features... that's enough for what you get for free.... BUT to argue about the ads appearing on your boards, well that's just beyond me.

If people want a board... http://www.invisionfree.com (get a remotely hosted IPB)

but one reason people DONT WANT a REMOTE HOSTED BOARD is BECAUSE, from all the remote hosts I've seen, NONE gives you COMPLETE CONTROL, meaning, You can't upload your own theme, hacks/MODS, etc., ( some people don't want banner also )

Why does it matter? Most of the people who are planning on hosting a board on a PHP & MySQL host aren't going to invest time into customizing their own board. Some might install a few hacks that they think are "cool", but I can bet you that just about none of them will even try to come up with a unique scheme. Anyway, remote hosts allow you to customize the colors and images, and while they do not allow you to install hacks, they are willing to listen to your suggestions. In addition, the ads on remote hosts are generally less distracting than those found on free webhosts. Remote hosts have less of a tendency to go down anyway.

X-Istence, I'm working on putting such an article on my site as well. :classic2:

hey, i've been looking for remotely hosted boards...

i'm using Dk3 at the moment, but i'm wondering, if you could post how much bandwidth remotely hosted forums can accept...
i don't see it on the dk3 website...is it unlim?

or, is there any other good remote forums that ppl recommend that won't go down?

Remotely hosted boards allow a lot of bandwidth. It is highly unlikely that a remotely hosted board such as ezboard will suspend you if you go over the bandwidth limit.

What people worry most is the bandwidth... unlimited bandwidth doesn't exist... bandwidth is expensive - people are being too greedy.

Originally posted by conkermaniac
X-Istence, I'm working on putting such an article on my site as well. :classic2:

hmm, okay since you are taking my idea, ill just have to link to you and send about 500 daily hits over ;).

Just Kidding

Originally posted by X-Istence
hmm, okay since you are taking my idea, ill just have to link to you and send about 500 daily hits over ;).

Well, my bandwidth figures are pretty pathetic, so if you really did that, I would be ecstatic! :cool: :p

Write your article - I might link to it. ;)

Back