• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

GeoCities

TJGuitar85

It wont let me login to the ftp. I put in username then when it asks for password it just stops there...but the website still works...is anyone else experiencing problems?

TJ

Hi,

It has to be a temporary problem. Geocities is THE best provider out there - hands down! It could be a specific problem with only your site as all my GC sites work. Have you contacted them?

Harry

well its ad isnt too bad, its FTP's fast. its hardly ever down. If GC hjust gave more space it could be one of the best.

TJ

Laugh all you want. I have tried at least 20 other providers and I KNOW the difference. I am not here to engage in an argument. In terms of speed, reliability, and service, it is the best. I have been using multiple GC sites since October 1997. So, I know for fact as I can compare.

Right on, TJ. That's what I will continue to believe and say.

Geocities is THE best site on the Web today - bar none! I have had problems with other arrogant, contemptuous providers, who treat their users like cattle, just because they are not paying anything for the service, some of them deleting sites without notice, or even on initial upload:( But just like a gas station that rips you off, it happens only once - then, one moves on. I have all my sites backed up, so it's no skin off my nose if my sites get deleted. No loss of mine, you see. There used to be a time when RealAudio files were allowed, though MP3s were (rightfully) not. But now, the post-Napster paranoia among providers has gotten to ludicrous proportions. Some of them think all users are stupid enough not to see the charade of offering 100 MB or "unlimited" space and restricting individual file size to some ridiculous proportions, but when you see through all that mumbo jumbo sales pitch, the space offered is meaningless! How many HTML, JPG, or TXT files can one use to use up this space?!

I have been with Geocities since 1997 and I think it is unparalleled for their superb service, reliability and good will. I started with Angelfire and Fortunecity at the same time, but both of them are disappointing, to put it mildly.

Enough said.
Me

We didn't mean anything personal towards you. It's just that Geocities, in terms of services, (CGI, PHP, mysql, etc.) is hardly the best free host out there.

CGI etc is something that if you want you should pay for it, because most likely its not gonna work well on a fwp. (ie Tripod,F2s) GeoCities is one of the best for PERSONAL websites.

TJ

Thanks for the responses. WorldWarGeneral, no offense was intended or taken:)

And that was only my opinion, anyway. Aren't they all opinions? I can now see where you're coming from as I have not used their CGI or PHP service. I guess my vision was rather focussed more on the basic service rather than the extras. As TJ said, I was speaking of only a basic website without the frills.

In my experience, I have had considerable luck with GC. Most of my sites have to do with RealAudio files of music. Many providers simply would not allow RM files. Some others simply deleted my Indian music RM files (I am hoping to find a few providers in India, or elsewhere, as the law is applied TOO stringently only in North America) citing sites have to be in English. I have had all the above files at GC since 1997 and not only have they flourished there, but I have never had problems with the sites or the files or FTP. I can even access their FTP ports from behind a firewall while Fortunecity and Angelfire crapped out on me.

I appreciate the fact that different folks would have different experiences with GC, and I respect and recognize that fact.

Harry

Well, I think we are back to the same old argument of "What does best mean?" And what is more important? Stability, reliabilty and speed or features? I wish there was a free webhost that had both, but sadly, I don't believe there is one at this time. (and please, do not say F2's because for quite some time, they have had problems with reliability and speed overall--when they get that fixed, they will be great) I do wish Geocities had more features, but I can live with that. They ARE the best as far as reliability, speed and stability go--Their support is pathetic, but I guess if you don't have any problems, who cares, right? ;) And again, the people viewing your site, don't care about features--they care about accessing your information quickly and painlessly. But again, I suppose it is all relative depending on what you want to offer.

Back to the problem at hand..I haven't had any problems with FTP on Geocities recently...must have been temporary!

Pardon me, but what does the acronym F2 refer to?;-) I assume it is a web hoster...?

For support, I have always depended on their resident Community Leaders or "experts". I have always been able to get fast answers.

I am able to get to all of my Geocities site, no problem.

F2's is the web host "Freedom To Surf." ;)

And I would say that paid hosting "usually" is better, depending on what you want to do. ;)

Last edited:
Originally posted by BC
F2's is the web host "Freedom To Surf." ;)

And I would say that paid hosting "usually" is better, depending on what you want to do. ;)

I get it:) Yep. Money talks. In terms of free service, one gets what one pays for - in many cases, nothing!

Originally posted by lastactionhero
for me CGI and PHP are the basic and I take hosting HTML and images for granted. They are like they should be there.

And, yes, I have wanted to get into CGI scripting, but as this is only a hobby, I have not had the time to indulge in it. I really want to use check boxes so people can select the songs they want to hear.

Harry
http://dial.to/kerala

Sure a lot of free hosts offer great things, but where will they be in 6 months? I don't care about PHP, CGI, SSI, MYSQL, yadda, and neither does 95% of webmasters. One thing people DO want, is something that won't disappear in 6 months. I think Geocities will be around for a looong time.

Back