• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

gcsnet.net?

I'm not a guy who likes to put people down, I feel that everyone has the power within them to own a fwp, but they will not last with the features they are offering and with a dedicated from tera-byte. I really do hope for the best but I don't really see them operating from 2 months from now and have no financial problems. That's just my opinion. Let me explain... if they ordered their server at the time Tera-Byte was offering the dedicated RaQ3 for $99/monthly with 50gb of bandwidth, than there's a good chance. But if they are at regular cost, nah.. also... a static ip? come on now.. be realistic.. no ads? .. 100mb of space .. ? hmm.. it's gonna last..

[Edited by robert on 03-08-2001 at 08:13 PM]

They will have ads.. all you guys are talking as if the will remain ad free, and as stated in a few other replys they will have ads..

And the beauty of using redirection is that when one brand new host fails within a month, you just just upload your files to the next one. But I'm hoping to have an Ikonboard up, do I don't want the host it's on to be changing that often.

Ads are starting to show up on my site. But they gotta make money somehow. I'm impressed tho, it's only a 300x120 window that doesn't come into the foreground.. I never noticed it until I closed Internet Explorer.

< from gcsnet.net >

Advertising? We are currently ad-free since we are still in

the developmental stages of our hosting service. However,

users may notice occasional test ads load with their site.

Advertising comments and suggestions are encouraged.

from http://www.gcsnet.net/policies.html[/i]

Domain Names. We will host your existing domain name for free. You must edit your domain record and use our nameservers in order for your site to properly function. If we purchase you a domain name, we retain ownership of that domain until: 1. Your site has received least 500
unique hits per day for six months or 2. You pay us a $50 fee to transfer ownership to you. This fee only serves to compensate us for our time and expense in regards to your initial domain purchase. However, depending on your situation, we may choose to waive the transfer fee. If a user is found to be abusing our TOS and loses their account, we will not transfer ownership of the domain to that user. When the domain expires, the user is free to register it for his or herself.

Wish/hope Namezero is like that... *sigh*

gcsnet.net

Well, i'm with gcsnet.net for now, i hope. They have a pop-behind ad when you visit any gcsnet member sites. I think it doesn't come up for another 72 hour or so. At least that's what i understand.

If banners would keep them alive, which i really do hope so, then i'd rather have a banner, of course, i want to be able to place the banner myself. And no, i don't place it in a place where no one can see.

They can host a maximum of 250 sites on the RAQ and that is not enough sites to make any money back.

Unlimited bandwidth? maybe they can get away with it but since they have 100gb bandwidth and its $3 per extra gigabyte at tera-byte i dont think that unlimited claim will last long.

100mb x 250 = more than a 10.2gb harddrive.

have fun.

Originally posted by Technics
They can host a maximum of 250 sites on the RAQ and that is not enough sites to make any money back.

Unlimited bandwidth? maybe they can get away with it but since they have 100gb bandwidth and its $3 per extra gigabyte at tera-byte i dont think that unlimited claim will last long.

100mb x 250 = more than a 10.2gb harddrive.

have fun.

250 sites is not enough to make any money back??? Why do you think that?

Originally posted by Technics
tell how many fwp have survived with under a 1000 users?

fwps with helpful and supportive members

if we support gcsnet.net as much as possible
and be like Lynks, clicking on their banners every now and then, this fwp might just survive. if they, together with supportive members, could keep abuse at a minimum, the may just flourish.

for some reason, perhaps because of their great features, i really feel like supporting gcsnet.

[Edited by boredboi on 03-12-2001 at 12:46 AM]

I'm sure that clicking their link would help them a bit but to really survive in the free hosting scene you need to have a solid revenue model & a backup plan (in case things don't work out).

For some reason, I haven't see both with gcsnet.net. No doubt they have a great feature set (static IP, PHP, MySQL ..) but I've seen a lot of such FWP's come & go. For instance, there was freesqlhost.com with SQL Server 7, ASP, ASP+ .. hosting but they only lasted a few months.

I wish they make it though!

I think that you can earn enough with just 250 users.
Just do some simple math:
250 users with lets say 250 uniques per day (their policy is that they only accept sites with more than 200 visitors per day). That is 62500 unique views per day. They're currently using goclick which pays 2.5$ cpm. This way the could earn 156,25$ per day or 4600$ per month. This is probably enough to pay the bills for a dedicated server, don't you think?

Back