• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Freewebsites.com dead?

Cracker

-
NLC
For the past three days, I've been unable to access http://www.freewebsites.com/ . Is it possible that they just went away? That surprises me, because they've been around for years, and one would think they'd at least give a warning on their website if they were going out of business.

Originally posted by trenzterra
I think it's gone, I get a domain doesn't exist error...

Ahh so sad to see another host gone...

It's even sadder to see that only the cr*p hosts are still around. :confused2

Well, what do you know? Freewebsites is not dead, they apparently were just taking a vacation! LOL

Anyway, http://www.freewebsites.com/ is back up. I knew it - they've been around for years, they wouldn't just vanish without saying so on their site.

Originally posted by conkermaniac
It's even sadder to see that only the cr*p hosts are still around. :confused2

Not crap, some are simply built for web newbies, not advanced users.. By limiting resources or not giving away resources that cost a lot to maintain, it helps ensure survival. There are enough newbies coming on each day to keep such a project alive. Advertising does not pay enough to keep advanced hosting for free alive.

Originally posted by Cracker
Well, what do you know? Freewebsites is not dead, they apparently were just taking a vacation! LOL

Anyway, http://www.freewebsites.com/ is back up. I knew it - they've been around for years, they wouldn't just vanish without saying so on their site.
That's probably good news for users.

Ahhh well i like them for their big filesize limit.

So, when they're in jail (vacation), all sites are down? :rolleyes:

Getting any host with the word "free" in it's addy is just asking for trubble IMO :classic2:

What makes you think that freewebsites.com people would go to jail? Also, what's wrong with a free host having the word "free" in its address?

ermm i need some comment on the the freewebsite.com host reliable to use? and there's no problem on it? is it no banner ads and may include ads by own on each pages?

Although freewebsites claims to let you choose between popups and an inline banner ad, I've found that no matter which option you choose, you still get popups.

Also, why would you want an ad free host just so you can place your own ads on your pages? That's kind of hypocritical.

Originally posted by Webdude

Not crap, some are simply built for web newbies, not advanced users.. By limiting resources or not giving away resources that cost a lot to maintain, it helps ensure survival. There are enough newbies coming on each day to keep such a project alive. Advertising does not pay enough to keep advanced hosting for free alive.

Webdude, when I say crap hosts, I don't mean the ones that offer few features. Even a host that offers only 5 MB without scripting languages or FTP might not be crap. The hosts that I truly think are "crap" are the ones who insist that blocking signups/traffic from certain countries is necessary, offer terrible and uncaring support, have frequent downtimes, add a ridiculous amount of advertising (and I mean intrusive, not just pop-ups), or any combination of hte above.

back to topic. Freewebsites.com is a really good host, at one time when they still offerend unlimited space, i was hsoted there and had uploaded somewaht 400 MB of mpeg, zips, and what nots of a cool-clips site i created.

This was some time ago, but they have served my site to a lot of people, without complainging about the space / bandwith i used. Now that is nice. they are also not bad at all speed wise.

X-Istence

Back