• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Free webhosts - how do they survive?

cleowin

Hello, I am just wondering how free web hosts survive? Like is it basically ads or is it because companies some how manage to keep hosting it for free despite having the resources?

Well there can be many ways:
1. Paid hosting option- free hosting is funded by the receipts of paid hosting that is also offered by the hosting company simultaneously .
2. Post2host - free hosting is funded by ads placed on host's forums . Host is paid based on views and clicks by its users on forum ads . Also since post2host helps hosts generate good quality content, advertisers may pay more to have their advertisements on such sites .
3. Upgrade option- free hosting is funded by users themselves . Hosting features are strategically kept really low to force users to upgrade to paid. This is what funds the hosting
4. Surveys- free hosting is funded by surveys they are forced to complete
5. Partnership- free hosting is powered by partner companies or affiliate companies which fund the hosting or provide hosting resources to them in return for a share or for links or ads on hosting company or for the users that hosting company sends to them
6. Sponsorship- free hosting is sponsored by some other companies or individuals which offer free services or resources or financial backing to the hosting company.
7. Own Pockets- free hosting sometimes is funded entirely by the hosting owner himself . He gets the satisfaction of having done a good deed . Only very rich persons can afford to do this . Very rarely you'll find such hosting companies
8. Donations- free hosting is powered by donations that host recieves from it's users
9. Odd jobs- free hosting is powered by other companies or individuals for whom the hosting owner does odd jobs like web design or forum moderation or some other means . You need a super skilled , super dedicated and super work-o-holic admin to have such a host running .
10. Mix of two or more of the above .

There may be many others too, but these are all that I can recollect at the moment...

Last edited:
I've ran freehosts in the past, and for the most part it was not as horrible as you'd think. I took a different approach than most do, however. When I ran ads, I would research each site getting decent traffic, and target the ads to that site's content. In this way, I became an advertising manager as well as a freehost administrator.

I am using freeindianhosting.com for the past one year. I wont find any issues in it. I am satisfied with the services.
what i think is free hosting which provides quality and affordable services do survive forever.

I am using freeindianhosting.com for the past one year. I wont find any issues in it. I am satisfied with the services.
what i think is free hosting which provides quality and affordable services do survive forever.

Doesnt get much more affordable then free :D

Well there can be many ways:
1. Paid hosting option- free hosting is funded by the receipts of paid hosting that is also offered by the hosting company simultaneously .
2. Post2host - free hosting is funded by ads placed on host's forums . Host is paid based on views and clicks by its users on forum ads . Also since post2host helps hosts generate good quality content, advertisers may pay more to have their advertisements on such sites .
3. Upgrade option- free hosting is funded by users themselves . Hosting features are strategically kept really low to force users to upgrade to paid. This is what funds the hosting
4. Surveys- free hosting is funded by surveys they are forced to complete
5. Partnership- free hosting is powered by partner companies or affiliate companies which fund the hosting or provide hosting resources to them in return for a share or for links or ads on hosting company or for the users that hosting company sends to them
6. Sponsorship- free hosting is sponsored by some other companies or individuals which offer free services or resources or financial backing to the hosting company.
7. Own Pockets- free hosting sometimes is funded entirely by the hosting owner himself . He gets the satisfaction of having done a good deed . Only very rich persons can afford to do this . Very rarely you'll find such hosting companies
8. Donations- free hosting is powered by donations that host recieves from it's users
9. Odd jobs- free hosting is powered by other companies or individuals for whom the hosting owner does odd jobs like web design or forum moderation or some other means . You need a super skilled , super dedicated and super work-o-holic admin to have such a host running .
10. Mix of two or more of the above .

There may be many others too, but these are all that I can recollect at the moment...

Thanks for the following information. I didnt realize that there were so many different methods that free hosting companies survived. I thought that advertising would be their main form of cash flow but i guess not.

@virtual wizards , there might be plenty more ways still that I might not be aware of , but these are the types of hosts I've met .
Each type has it's own advantages and disadvantages though , so you need to be careful which path you choose .

Best Regards,
Aloycasmir

For example we have paid option of paid web hosting. Also we run our free web hosting on cloud system which we test for our feature projects. So the most important thing is to have strong background on your pocket :) to paid for DC and servers. It is great that there are some people who just helping us for free and we want to say to them big thanks. We do not get anything from free host, but we are trying to do our best to be good and reliable free web hosting.

Conclusion is if you will run your free web hosting based on adds then you will not get the good traffic to your site, cause everyone fed up with advertisement and other related stuff. You need a lot of time to gain your reputation which cost money.

Not only do most 'free' hosts offer paid services as upgrades to the free plans, or paid custom plans for larger clients, but they also can make a fair amount of money using ad programs.

Back