• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Free VPS's? Seriously?

@Seanieb,
I agree with you.
as there is no free lunch.
the best i can see now, is to post for a free VPS.
users still need to earn it by themself, not completely free without work for it
:)

Let's say you have a server, and you don't use the whole thing. You can give away a VPS on it, and then the person getting the vps tells other people how cool you are, how great your service is, etc. driving other people to your paid hosting or to view your ads if you're a post-to-host. You will be paying for the server anyway since you partially use it.

Let's say you have a server, and you don't use the whole thing. You can give away a VPS on it, and then the person getting the vps tells other people how cool you are, how great your service is, etc. driving other people to your paid hosting or to view your ads if you're a post-to-host. You will be paying for the server anyway since you partially use it.

also known as a referrer. ;)

this is wat i said, there is not free lunch.
ppl have to work for it.
if the user did not even try to refer ppl, i doubt the server owner will let that user use the VPS for long.

this is wat i said, there is not free lunch.
ppl have to work for it.
if the user did not even try to refer ppl, i doubt the server owner will let that user use the VPS for long.

If you can find a good sponsor to handle the cost, then you will be ok. Even you refer your visitors to them, that is not a loss for you. Because you spend no money on it.

the reason free VPS companies are starting to show up is the falling prices of technology. As things get smaller, faster, larger, and cheaper, it becomes possible for hosts to offer stuff for less and less. 8 months ago if someone asked for a VPS they were likely to get laughed at, now it is semi-plausable to get one under some circumstances, 8 months from now they may be as common as free resellers.

the reason free VPS companies are starting to show up is the falling prices of technology. As things get smaller, faster, larger, and cheaper, it becomes possible for hosts to offer stuff for less and less. 8 months ago if someone asked for a VPS they were likely to get laughed at, now it is semi-plausable to get one under some circumstances, 8 months from now they may be as common as free resellers.

You are absolutely right!
I've seen many requests for VPS gets to junk folder those days. And they consider it as a spam.

But for today, offering a sponsored vps is not a magic. Since some big companies offer free dedicated servers to big web portals.

The problem is two faced.
Side one is the kids or adults with very poor business plans that want to build a name for themselves by offering free products that they know they can't sustain for more then a few months; thus lowering or tarnishing hosting in general.

Then side two are the other providers that just can't offer said products yet, and want to downplay those providers that can and do sustain those free offers.

Either way free no matter how you look at it has its ups and downs.

Why is everyone so pessimistic?
Never say never.

LOL it is like conspiracy theories in here from time to time. But on this occasion they are correct, giving away a free VPS is costly to a hosting company. Especially when its small. But also I think your find that there is also as bit of jealousy as well, so just in case they are successful they make comments and so on to discourage people from using them.

If I get a free vps and I like it and am happy, I will go the extra mile to promote the person who gave me the free vps. I will put up ads, discuss the company, post reviews, tweet about it etc.

This will surely bring in traffic and create advertising which paid users will not do so eagerly. Surely this can generate profit for the hosting company. Moreover, a good deed leads to a better image, which makes a huge difference in a crowded market.

The only problem I see with that is the IP addresses. IPv4 is running out fast and VPSs require at least 1 or you have issues. IPv6 would solve this problem if more people had IPv6.

since IPv4 is running out, there will be a migration to IPv6 eventually, and then the IPs will be cheap as dirt.

Back