• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

free shell acount to be able to use irc at school

morgoth

Because at my school the locked the ports of the normal irc servers I can't irc there. But it is possible with a shell account or something so I can telnet to a server (telnet port 23 is open) and than start an irc client on that server. Anyone knows such a site where I can do that?

Try the following:

http://www.shellyeah.org/
http://www.daforest.org/
http://www.nether.net/

They're all free, and they all explicitly allow IRC (although no bots, except on daforest.org, which is really slow). Your best bet is probably Shellyeah, as nether.net is prone to go down unexpectedly and for several days.

the new list of free shell accounts that I maintain should be up once NSI decides to get off its fat rich lazy booty and update my records. :p

:'(

Shellyeah.org doesn't accept new users at this time.....
nether.net doesn't exist anymore and daforest is indeed very slow (it is using a 56k6 modem and a 486 :( ) but they don't accept new users as well :(

Do you know others ?

Anyway, thanks for your help :)

thanx man!

Thanx man! Takiweb.com worked for me ! :)

I can't use ssh (that port is closed at school) so coffey doesn't worked, I tried unix-shells but they didn't accept new users, marmoset.net was down but takiweb.com worked for me! :) Thanx!!

free shells are such a pain :)

Glad I could help, eventually :) I think I'm going to have to mirror the free shells list somewhere until my domain is back up... and apparently check them more frequently <g>

Thanks

thank you robin for the list of shell acccounts. I finally got one at hobbiton.org and seem quite happy with it. Thanks again.

The Forest (www.daforest.org)

Hi 'robin' and 'morgoth'. I am the Admin of The Forest. I noticed a refered hit from "freewebspace.net" and went to check it out. I found this thread and noticed 'morgoth' needed a free shell but didn't happen to goto my page when the request form was open :) Yes, I'm not on DSL yet, but most of the time my system is pritty fast. Being a 486 doesn't make a difference when it comes to general usage. You'd only notice the speed of the system when you attempt to compile something, or use some other program that takes alot of CPU (most standard Linux programs don't). If you'd like to e-mail me, I'm sure I could squeeze you in. I try to limit the number of users I have on the system since anything over 100 would probibly cause some speed problems.

Anyway, feel free to e-mail me and I will send a special link for you to use to sign up: root@daforest.net

Note: daforest.net is temporary. daforest.org is offline due to problems with my DNS hosts since I don't host my own domain. It'll hopefully start resolving Monday (22nd) afternoon.

Back