• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Free Ruby on Rails Hosting

nanbread

In August, my fascination for Ruby on Rails began; I’ve been hearing about the language/framework for a very long time, but never actually had the time to look into it. When I did, I was instantly in love - the simplicity, and potential of rails is unbelievable. That is when I pruchased a Level 2 Developer Account at Rails Playground. A few months down the road, and I’m still not using the account to its potential. So I’ve decided to share the account with you.

I know how hard it is to step into the world of elegant code. When I wanted to learn RoR, there were only a couple of good books (that always seemed to be sold out), hosting was hard to find, and online resources were scarce. It took me a long time to find a solid Rails hosting provider and it wasn’t free, which is pretty frustrating as a student. This is why I am offering you the opportunity to learn/develop/host Rails applications free of charge.

There’s a limit of 5 accounts set by RailsPlayground, and I’m currently using 2; so, I will only be able to host 3 people.

For those of you who would like to know more about the hosting company, the following are some reviews demontstrating Rails Playground’s firm standing as one of the best Rails hosts:

What I will provide:
  • Space/Bandwidth - Negotiable; if you end up using more space than you asked for, I will pay for as much space as you need.
  • Unlimited Add-on and Parked Domains
  • Unlimited Subdomains
  • Unlimited MySQL 5 Databases
  • Unlimited PostgreSQL 8 Databases
  • Unlimited FTP Accounts
  • Unlimited POP3/IMAP Mail Accounts
  • Unlimited Mail Forwarders
  • Unlimited Mail Lists

Architecture:
  • Red Hat Linux Enterprise 4
  • Dual Opteron RAID 5 Servers
  • 24/7/365 Server management and monitoring
  • Fast Datacenter 100mbp Connectivity
  • Daily Site Backup/Restore Management

Language Support:
  • Ruby on Rails with FastCGI support
  • PHP 4.x with Zend Optimizer
  • PHP 5.x with Zend Optimizer
  • MySQL 5.x
  • Perl, Python, TCL and Binary CGI Support

Standard Tools:
  • Mailman MailList Software
  • Web-based Email Solutions(Horde, and SquirrelMail)
  • Spam Assassin
  • Raw Statistics for Web and FTP
  • Graphical Statistics for Web and FTP
  • Graphical Control Panel (CPanel 10)
  • Graphical Database Tools (phpMyAdmin)

Advanced Tools:
  • Fantastico Script Manager
  • Secure Shell (SSH v2)
  • Compilers: Ruby, C, C++
  • ImageMagick
  • Custom RubyGem/PHP Module Installation - Upon request; just let me know when you need it
  • SVN/Trac Hosting - Upon request; just let me know when you need it

Hosting Offer Info/Guidelines:
  • Ruby on Rails only!
  • I am the one choosing who to host, so if I turn you down, please don’t whine. Of course, I will provide you with a reason, and you can re-apply if you wish.
  • The usual rules, no adult/offensive/illegal content. etc.
  • Hosting will be provided on a first come first server basis; only the first 3 people I choose will receive hosting.
  • To apply, you must either have an existing site, or an idea for one. If you have an existing site, I ask that you show it to me. If you don’t, I ask that you provide me with a detailed plan of what you want to do/accomplish, and a time frame.
  • I will evaluate your site monthly, and if I deem that it no longer meets the any of the requirements, I will give you a week to modify your site or find a new host.
  • You will be required to link back to my site using a 88x31 or 88x15 button.

To apply, please leave a comment in this post using the following format:
  • Name: John Doe
  • Contact Information: email, msn, etc.
  • Why you should be hosted:
  • If you have an existing site: Site URL: If you do not have an existing site: Your plan: Including ideas, time frame, etc.

If you have any question, feel free to ask.

I’m looking forward to hosting you. :)

Name: Streak
Contact Information: PM Me for further info.
Why you should be hosted: I don't know?
If you have an existing site: n/a -see plan:

Plan: Really I'm just interested in Ruby on Rails, I've heard a lot about it but would just like to test it out and try to see if I can build something on the platform. I really don't have any idea what I'd create so if I got the hosting, I'd basically use it to learn the language/platform. With enough experience and time I could probably create something but again I have no experience with Ruby on Rails.

I'd use the hosting to learn it, it'd basically be an experiment in programming I guess.

Hi nanbread after i read your facility, maybe i interested about it,
* Name: ponselwap
* Contact Information: pm me.
* Why you should be hosted:for photo design, wedding, anniversary, happy birthday, etc
* If you have an existing site: I use my own domain.com

thanks for your responed, I wait it

regard's
ponselwap

* Name: Michael Vasyutyk or (Beatles219)
* Contact Information: you can contact me on aim- mvasyutyk or on msn mikes_design@hotmail.com if i dont reply i am probably away from pc.
* Why you should be hosted:Well I am mostly seeking to extend my knowledge in Ruby on Rails, as well as CSS and HTML
* If you have an existing site: Site URL: If you do not have an existing site: Your plan: Including ideas, time frame, etc. I dont have a site but I am planning to use it for hosting my personal blog, and experimenting with ruby such as creating custom things like personal blog this probably will take me from several days to a few weeks to make, this is mostly so that i can expand my knowledge in RoR, and share what i learned and also for friends and latest news things like that also i was thinking of creating experimental gallery for artwork.

Back