• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

free ipb 2.O

Status
Not open for further replies.
They did make availible a IPB 2.0 Unlimited Trial, which I downloaded when they had it avalible on there site. But you can only run this version if you downloaded it via IPS. ;)

Personally, my support board is IPB 2.2, and it is far superior to phpbb, I can't see how you could debate about a free board and one that is paid especially IPB over phpbb or the other way round. Anyone can clearly see that IPB has much more features if both boards are at vanilla. (If they're unmodded; plus, paid licenses produce there patches far quicker)

what are you blabbing about? phpbb barely has any features, 3.0 doesnt have ANYTHING new and is FAR behind, what their coming out with now has been done LONG AGO

Well u can get them from warez sites but they are still illegal.

which is the only way to get them that i know of.

i am not gonna post anyway.

what are you blabbing about? phpbb barely has any features, 3.0 doesnt have ANYTHING new and is FAR behind, what their coming out with now has been done LONG AGO

Errrr dude, why don't you actually take a look at it. Just about everything in phpbb 3, isn't available in any other forum system, and that's a FACT.

Thats not true, while im no great expert on vb, im an admin on a board running IPB 2.2.1 and i have to say it is unbelievable, phpbb DOESNT come anywhere near, and ive tried 3.

ontop of this IPB has about 10 other GREAT tools that you can plug straight in, i mean realistically, apart from a (stable and good, as i find ip dynamic to be neither) cms if you take a budget of say £800 to IPS you can come out with an incredibly good site, with TONNES of features,

like earlier mentioned they have a lot of money to use and they do use it to good effect , you cant deny that just because you prefer an opensource script that is considered by some to be dated, and overly slow to come up with updates

Yeh it does. phpbb ACP is by far the biggest - by far. Other forum systems quite simply to not have even 10% of the options you have in phpbb3 acp. Not even 10 measly percent.

It takes countless hours, just to get through the entire ACP. Hours.

I mentioned this in another thread, stop software bashing, we all have opinions, if you give us a list of features rather than just shout about howmany there are that would be more constructive as we can conduct a fair comparison

A list of features?
Hold on a second....I thought you tried phpbb3?

A list of features for it would span an encyclopaedia, I'm not going to list them here, that whole notion is ridiculous.

So you basically are asking us to believe something, and refuse to give us evidence because it was too long?

I just took a look at phpBB3. Trying to use the admin panel...

General tab: about the same as IPB 4th tab
Forums: Same as IPB
Users and Groups: Same as IPB, doesnt support autopromotion
Styles: Finally can inline edit templates. LA~, but no AJAX save or save and reload a la IPB/vB

Nothing I can't find in IPB.

True and yeah i tried it, but i mean in the general spectrum of your arguement WITH EVERYONE you havent offered any evidence, and no i dont mean all features, just core features, latest additions, and things you think you cant get with IPB/vB

So, you still haven't explained -- what is in phpBB that isn't in IPB?
Five smileys doesn't tell me a whole lot.

That's more of an addon. We should compare these boards from vanilla. I've just looked at the phpbb3 demo and it's APC. I wouldn't say it's as large as vBulletin's ACP, it's much cleaner than vBulletins ACP I must say, but I wouldn't say it's as large.
You can have a go at a demo at http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo.php
You'll see the difference in how much there is to play around with if you do have a go at the full featured demo. I wouldn't say it's as large as IPB's ACP either. I can take screen shots tomorrow if you really want to compare them, I've looked at Phpbb3 ACP, it looks nice, but I wouldn't compare it to vBulletins acp nor IPB's ACP. I'm more on the side of vBulletin though, seeing as I own several licenses with them and I've never actually had a forum hacked using there system.

It really comes down to personal preference. You either like some thing, or you do not and if you don't you're obviously going to be biased towards such forum scripts.
Some say paid licenses cost to much, but then others with licenses say it is to cheap as they can gain more than what they paid to get the software in the first place. Personally, I think the latest version of IPB has far more options than phpbb3. Don't get me wrong, but that's just in my opinion. I have yet to state any facts, but just viewing a phpbb site and IPB site you can see a lot of difference in the amount of features when compared. ;) And which is personally how I feel, I believe there is a feature list yet to be discovered on IPS and PHPBB.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back