• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Free Forum Hosting?

KMRock

I was wondering if it would be possible for me to get free forum hosting.

So I can give out free forums.

You would need a good host, with a community creation script. I'm not able to help with the script, but I can provide hosting.

- Lucas

phpBB and Invision take similar amounts of CPU. All forums take a large amount of CPU.

Do you mean something such as http://forumup.com

To be honest I believe they don't do very well. Before I started getting into hosting properly, and websites, I used them and they place millions of adverts of the website to cover the cost.

Lots of forums = lots of CPU.
Lots of CPU = pay a lot out.
Pay a lot out = you need money in.
Getting money in = Advertisters.
No advertisers = YOU SHUT DOWN

Then you have wasted around $500 unless you can open a website worthwile.

Remember that everything is along a chain. I'll carry it on.
Lots of adverts = people leave
People leave = No advertising
No advertising = YOU SHUT DOWN

VERY VERY hard to run a site like that, unless you are a massive company, someone that can afford it, or you get popular straight away.

Thats why I do know of only 1, (forumup.com), and have ONLY EVER heard of 2.

So few for that reason.

Take my advice :D
CJ

because forums(and especially lots of them) eat up alot of CPU.

When something gets eaten up it disappears, a CPU doesn't just disappear like that :) Well I know its a figure of speech although.

Doesn't any page take a lot of CPU? It really depends on how much bandwidth he gets and how many page views and users the forums will have.

You can actually start a free forum host with very little money down. You can use AMFR Multiforums PHPBB to quickly and easily host multiple PHPBB forums. The AMFR script is also free.

I have about 1500 hosted forums on a $7.00 a Month shared hosting plan using the AMFR script on my forum host, WebringAmerica. Many other people have started forum hosts on shared hosting. You can always upgrade to better hosting as your forum host grows. Otherwise you can comfortably run a few forums under shared hosting. It all will come down to popularity in the end.

Here's a tip though, you need some sort of gimmick if you are going to be successful as a new forum host. With so many free forum hosts to choose from you need something that sets you apart from the rest. My gimmick is I don't show ads, other people load up the forums with mods, templates, etc, and others come up with other gimmicks.

Good luck.

BMR777

Back