• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Free Antivirus Software

Hobo

I don't think AVG is picking everything up, are there any other free antivirus softwares that I could use, or do I have to go pay?

Hobo said:
See avg, keeps saying there is a trojan dropper in my system volume information, but when it scans that folder it says nothing is there. I don't get it, but the pop-ups keep informing that its still there. Even a full system scan show nothing, and other virus scans do the same, but I keep getting the message.
Same problem I got the last time I used it, so I've ditched it and gone back to norton. BTW, my whole system died after using AVG-free for a few weeks. I strongly advise you to give up on free antivirus software. It just doesn't work (well enough).

LeX said:
Same problem I got the last time I used it, so I've ditched it and gone back to norton. BTW, my whole system died after using AVG-free for a few weeks. I strongly advise you to give up on free antivirus software. It just doesn't work (well enough).
I've never had any problems with AVG... of course I've never had a reason to use it though...

I use AVG Pro 7.1.

Since I work from home, and I get a lot of attachments from my job, I have to make sure that they are virus free..

i believe in just going pay b/c with pay you know you have a good product and if it is a major company program like Symantec then you know you have a solid virus data center.

aggiedude said:
i believe in just going pay b/c with pay you know you have a good product and if it is a major company program like Symantec then you know you have a solid virus data center.

For the third time this year, Internet security firm Symantec has had to release patches to plug critical security flaws in many of its popular antivirus and firewall packages.
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39154556,00.htm

Yea real solid.

aggiedude said:
Paying doesn't assure anything.

Bah, Im still getting this message but it goes away after a couple clicks, so I don't know if its really affecting anything. All I know is that system volume information is one of those protected files and I can't open it up.

aggiedude said:
i meant assure with like Symatec. Not saying paying is a must. And besides i dont pay for mine but I have a payed service provided by CA b/c i know someone who works there. (www.ca.com) or their software (i recomend) www.my-etrust.com

I second the CA's antivirus (ez trust antivirus). I've been using it for over 5 years and it's very lightweight but powerful. It's a pay subscription though, but it's cheap.

Bruce said:
I've never had any problems with AVG... of course I've never had a reason to use it though...
For three consecutive times I had to reinstall XP due "false" virus warnings from AVG-free. It wouldn't go away, it keeps telling me something's wrong with my system volume folder, but when I scan it nothing is found. Also found nothing with a complete scan. Not to mention my whole system ----ed up after those warnings started to show up. Three times, not once. So, ---- it. Don't use it.

stu said:
I second the CA's antivirus (ez trust antivirus). I've been using it for over 5 years and it's very lightweight but powerful. It's a pay subscription though, but it's cheap.
Bleh almost every paid antivirus software needs a paid subscription nowadays.

Back