• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Forum, moral delima....

rapmaster

Well I'm faced with a moral decision here, I'm attempting to become more legitimate with my sites, so I've decided to ask others what they'd do in the same situation. Ok do I....

A) Go get a ripped version of vBulletin and have a not so free except for me board

B) Use Burning board

or

C) well, what are some other free PHP/MySQL boards?

HELP! I'm attempting to be a good citizen for once in my life :D

I've decided to ask others what they'd do in the same situation.

What I would do and actually do is use OpenBB. You could wait for version 2 of OpenBB which should be great (in a month or more)... or just use version 1, which is about as good as burning board but less buggy I think (although it takes longer to customize due to badly written templates). Or, settle for burning board.

My advice would be to not get vB. chances are you wont require it.

use wB or XMB, or maybe even mercury board.

heck. give them all a try and see which you like better.

Burning Board! :classic2:

Unless... you can make your PHPBB look as good as Phrozen's!
(Phrozen: I love yours mate!)

Originally posted by Toefur
Unless... you can make your PHPBB look as good as Phrozen's!
(Phrozen: I love yours mate!)

Thats easy, all Phrozen did was change a few graphics and add a table background. He didn't do anything that special. Thats the basic board template.

Originally posted by Daniel

Thats easy, all Phrozen did was change a few graphics and add a table background. He didn't do anything that special. Thats the basic board template.

yes but it still looks cooler than a 'normal' forum...
it has something 'special'

This really isn't too much of a moral dilema at all. To pirate software or not. You said you want to become more legtimate, so that answers that for ya. As far as what board to use, it's a matter of preference, so I suggest you just try them all.

Originally posted by Daniel

You're right. I agree I didn't change that much... yet. I had to manually edit the database to edit what I did, and I don't feel like having all of my coding erased everytime I update to the latest release of PhpBB 2.0. That's why I'm waiting for the final release before I make most of the changes.

Yes, I agree that Phrozen's board isn't spectacular, but the images make it better than your average phpBB board. From first glance, I was immediately able to tell that it was a phpBB board. The best boards wouldn't even give me a chance to do that, as they would totally customize the layout and move things around.

Back