• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Forum design

Well, oddly the domain http://www.parrotloveinternational.com shows as available, but...

The first thing you are going to have to do is find out what Invision's nameservers are (something in the form of ns1something.com, ns2.something.com), and update this information at the registrar. Invision might be taking care of this for you.

clueless

HI chicken, I have emailed charles@ivision a few days ago. He asked me if i would like to register this domain and I replied yes. I was told that i would be sent my ftp address, username and password. I have not yet received this. I dont know what is going on, but no one at Invision is answering the several emails i have sent them. I just dont know what my status is yet. I have checked with my visa, and nothing has been withdrawn yet.
As to your suggestions, i dont really understand the protocol of this web thing. I just dont know where to turn next :cry2:

Thank you for your help

Meg

Well, the bad news is, you're a bit lost and you seem to have chosen a host which is either slow, non-responsive, or there is a problem getting email from you to them or vice versa.

It really isn't supposed to be this much of a mystery, even if you are completely green (which you seem to be).

A bit of general info, just to put your mind at ease...

You have requested a domain name (URL). This will be registered at a registrar. The registrar needs to know the nameservers for your domain (your host will provide you with nameserver info and most likely runs this server).

Nameservers point your domain to the correct server that your web site files will be on (in your case, Invision's server).

Registrar > Nameserver > Server where your site is

That's nutshell.

Once your domain is actually registered (I'm not certain that it has been yet, doesn't seem to be exactly), then nameserver info will need to be updated and it will take a couple of days before all servers world-wide will update and everyone will be able to type in http://www.parrotloveinternational.com and *bing* magically your site will pop up.

It isn't encouraging that your host (Invision) isn't replying to you, and that surely isn't a good sign of things to come. If it comes down to it, you should cancel that service and sign up with a host which does reply to your questions.

Thank you

Hi chicken. I was wondering if i could actually cancel my sign up with invision? I have given them all my visa information. I have just fired off another email directly from the Invision site. I have asked them for a reply. I have also asked them what my status is with respects to being a customer. I couldnt sign in to their site as it does not recognise my name :( So, i put in the email that if they werent prepared to answer me, then i would get some other that would. Invision was recommended to me by you i think? I perhaps should have had a better look around. I believe you gave me a whole list of servers. Seemingly i chose the slowest lol. I do need a message board facility on my site and help from the host to install it.
Oh dear, i dont have much luck do i? There is an Invision.com here in the UK. I believe that they are one and the same. I wonder if i would be again banging my head against a brick wall by contacting them?
You are a cool guy and I thank you for helping me........also for listening to me. You know that I am totally green with regards to paid sites. I have had a webpage with geocities.....that was so nice, but it is not enough for a message board. I have tried to re register with yahoo/geocities but I am getting no response from the website..........ie unable to contact the server arghhhhhhhh lol
Thanks a lot chicken
Your a good help
Meg :)

Re: Thank you

Originally posted by MegUK
Invision was recommended to me by you i think? I perhaps should have had a better look around. I believe you gave me a whole list of servers.
Not I :( -and I think perhaps you should look elsewhere as it doesn't seem like you're being taken care of, even at a minimum level.

There's a paid forum here in which you can post a request (space, max. $$$ amount, etc.) and get offers from hosts here. I'm sure one will be hapy to provide you with better service than you seem to be getting.

They might also be willing to lead you though getting going, or even helping you directly with your forum set up (never hurts to mention that in the request).

As for your payment details at Invision, well they could refund you *if* you have been charged already, and worse case scenario, if they are extremely unhelpful, your credit card most likely provides protection against this sort of thing (called a chargeback, you'd have to contact your credit card issuer for details on that). Always try to resolve payment problems with the host first though (chargebacks are more of a last resort).

Thanks again chicken. I dont think i can do that with the card. It isnt a credit card, but it is a debit card with visa facilities. I use it all over the world. I debits my bank directly and that is why i can get up to date info on my account status.
I will start looking for an alternative tomorrow. I am too tired now, it is evening here :(
I have wasted enough time with Invision as it is. I probably would have been up and running elsewhere. I will keep in touch and let you know how things are going. I do hope that i can get my domain name.

Thanks again
Meg:D

Hi chicken

I have finally succeeded in cancelling IB and signing up with Worldzonepro.com
I received an email from them with the following question. I am totally confused now lol.....so whats new :rolleyes:

web2.worldzonepro.com - are you using this as your host name?

Can you explain what this is? I really thought that this would be so easy once i uploaded my index.html. Now when i try to sign in i am getting an error message :cry2:

Now i am doubly confused!!

Any suggestions?

Meg

Meg, I see you've gotten the site up, and pointed at the right place! That's a good start, you're making real progress. Now... the forum.

The forum is a script (set of scripts really), and if you haven't downloaded the script, now's probably a good time to. I've never installed invisonboard, but some others might be able to tell you if it has an installer of sorts.

To sum up the process, in the same way you got your index page up, you're going to need to get your forum files up there (maybe throw them in a folder called 'forum' just to keep it all in one place. Hopefully you won't have to deal with permissions, as that's another area altogether.

Once the files are uploaded to your 'forums' directory, you might have to just go to a URL (see install instructions) and enter in some info such as: hostname (this is what you were given and confused about above), your database name, your database password.

If you don't have a database (mySQL db), then that's your first step. You need that set up before you can install the forum generally.

All in all, read the installation instructions. Step by step, easy does it.

I managed to upload the files for her and Julie and Webdude did some work "behind the scenes" :p

The forum comes bundled with worldzone, so that will be the next step. It is very easy to set up as I found out :eek:

She does appear to have a problem with cuteftp and AOL clashing though, not sure how can go about that little problem. :confused:

Originally posted by Jan
She does appear to have a problem with cuteftp and AOL clashing though, not sure how can go about that little problem. :confused:
Well I dunno how much different AOL is in the UK, but I never had any problems with CuteFTP or any toher FTP client for that matter either when I was using AOL.

Re: HI Redguy

I have downloaded as you recommended. I have one problem lol. I am just building my first website. This is a site for parrot lovers. I need a bulleting board just like the one on this site. My problem is, i dont know how to add it to my index.html or how it works. I am a complete novice at this..Thanks for your help

Meg

hi...im new2...whered u find yours

HI

Mine is from www.worldzonepro.com and comes with a built in phpBB.
I must add that i have had enormous help from members of this community to get it up and running. It isnt completed yet, but i can do a bit each day. Lots of things to see to yet.

By the way, if you are looking for a message board you can download free from www.worldzone.com

Good luck
meg

thanks!

thanks...for the info...I posted a note similar to yours last week...and one of the moderators told me I was out of luck.:( I appreciate you for helping me! Thanks again!!! (by the way...I have hundreds upon hundreds of web sites available...if you need them. Can you give me tips on my web site? It's written below. Thank you.
:)

Re: HI

By the way, if you are looking for a message board you can download free from www.worldzone.com
Meg, that is only for paying customers :) phpBB is available from www.phpbb.com for others.

And wcrl, you were looking for a free version of vBulletin, it is NOT available for free. :rolleyes:

lol jan

Thanks for the correction lmbo. I am sure that he would have found out lol. No one has answered me about my members inability to upload gifs or pics directly to the message boards. I thought the facility came with worldzonepro? Everyone is asking why cant we get our gifs up etc. lol
I noticed on my alain.html the pic didnt show :cry2: Is there some reason for this jan?

Thanks

Meg

Re: lol jan

Thanks for the correction lmbo. I am sure that he would have found out lol. No one has answered me about my members inability to upload gifs or pics directly to the message boards. I thought the facility came with worldzonepro? Everyone is asking why cant we get our gifs up etc. lol
I noticed on my alain.html the pic didnt show :cry2: Is there some reason for this jan?

Thanks

Meg

Hey Meg,
Do you have any instant messengers? I have AIM, MSN, and Yahoo! Will you please send me your sign-in name for these messengers? Maybe we could help each other for our websites. Thanks...

Back