• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Fix your damn spelling!!

stabme, your four examples are good reasons to "modify" the language.

However, when posting on a forum, none of these apply. The problem I have is that many treat forums as chat rooms; they are not chat rooms.

Canuckkev said:
However, when posting on a forum, none of these apply. The problem I have is that many treat forums as chat rooms; they are not chat rooms.
alright. with that i'll agree with. that's just sheer laziness and looks disgusting and unprofessional.

personally....i really dislike shorthand in communication or any form of writing. it looks disgusting and really lowers my opinion of whoever wrote it.

I'll admit though, in chat conversations, I do not use capitalization and I may use the occasional "lol". Although, that's it. I never use u,brb,k etc.

i prefer 'lol' over ':)' or 'hahaha' ... seems simpler. and the ':)' way too happy/friendly. and trying to encapsulate it into a real sentence is going way too overboard 'thats really funny!'

Last edited:
In instant messages I don't capitalize much, I use "lol," "brb," and other common acronyms. However, I'll tend to use "heh-heh" instead of "lol" sometimes, I always capitalize "I" and most proper names, and I never use shorthand such as "u." I think as long as you use proper grammar and, to a reasonable extent, spelling, that's all that's required in something informal and real-time such as instant messaging.
On a forum, however, as mentioned, it's a little different. Proper capitalization, as few acronyms or abbreviations as possible, and higher levels of correct spelling and grammar should be expected. Forums aren't real-time, you have as much time as you want to type out your post and correct any stupid errors.

Personally, I group my "internet speak" (for lack of a better term), into two categories. Forums/Email are in one category, and IRC/IMs make up the other.

If any of you weren't already aware, I am a grammar nazi. ;)

Much like Notnamed (damn you for changing your avatar; it took me a minute to realize who it was. :eek:), I take the time to punctuate and capitalize properly on forums because it isn't real-time. This applies to Email as well.

Now when it comes to real-time programs, like IMs or chat, I'm not as particular. Don't get me wrong now, however, because I always find the time to use proper grammar, but I generally won't bother capitalizing because it takes too much extra effort to reach for the shift key. :p

I understand everyone isn't an English major--hell, I'm not either; I just play one on the internet--so I don't expect perfect grammar. It would be nice if people could spell out words like "you", but I can live with that on occasion. My biggest issue is when people use such obscure or ridiculous spellings that it takes me time to decipher what it is they're trying to say.

The following is an example of how not to type:
1st. u cannot sleep 4 3 yrs i think afta 3 weeks u wud die of stvation 2nd if u didnt stick ure tongue out u cud never moisten ure lips. oh and try 2 not lick ure lips wen eating a doughnut it is the hardest thing i nthe world!

That puzzles me, yet it saddens me just as much. :(

Now, yes, I will admit I use the occasional "lol", but I figure that is pretty common internet usage by now. After all, it does exist in the dictionary even.

That is all.

Last edited:
I love your example. =p

They go through the trouble of slanging and shorthanding everything except the one word that can be 'properly' shortened: doughnut.

Why the hell do people exchange letters with numbers? It takes longer and makes you look like a jackass.

LiquidGoat said:
I am so tired of seeing people with hacked spelling.....especially when they try to come out smart.

How hard is it really to spell it "you" instead of "u"? I know adding an astounding TWO extra letters to a word is a real b.itch, but just do it.

If you have a hard time, I think the google toolbar has a spell checker.

One example would be:
And how long does it take to capitalise the word "Google" and "Toolbar"?

i sometimes speak on the shorthand - it all depends on who i'm talking to, and how tired i am. the only thing i don't like doing is pressing the shift button. dunno why. If I want to go all proffessional, however, I easily can.

Whats wrong with not spnilleg rhigt? How cuold you not rbememer taht cabmridge usivenirty sdtuy spmaed all oevr the itnenret?

Jsut tkae a cilhl plil I say.

Back