• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Firefox using too much RAM

Unfortunatly I am stuck to using I.E 7 fo now because of the firefox high RAM issue. It's really disappointing. The browser has so much funtionality might uninstall all my extensions but somehow I don't think that will work.

Matt

firefox seems to hover about 85mb usage all the time but every now and again it will get way up there and use 500+ for no apparent reason (no extra plugins)

also the same thing happens with yahoo messenger.

p.s. opera does kick a fair amount of buttocks

anyway back to topic. my firefox uses a fair bit of resources, it will use as much as say itunes and wmp at the same time which i cant understand, a solution to this problem would be really appreciated, as while using my desktop i dont usually encounter problems, but i infact usually use my old acer laptop and at a depressing 256 mb ram and 1.5ghz cpu that i cant be bothered to change as i am getting a new one soon anyway, firefox often brings it to its knees :(

has anyone emailed mozilla support about this ??

AMC

not really, i mean i have a bit , i guess im just used to FF, i suppose ill give it a try though as it comes on high recommendation. Thanks

I use IE7, I find it better than FireFox.

No!

I don't care HOW IE7 functions, but the way how it STILL doesn't have a valid rendering engine, and constantly ----s up my designs, is just plain evil. The quicker people take a stand against MS the quicker they'll fix that they joke they call a browser.

I like the rendering just fine. All the sites I usually go to render fine in IE. I tried sites that conform to w3 standards and don't conform to w3 standards, they both show up fine. Unless your one of those strict w3 Nazis, I don't see why you wouldn't like it. And besides firefox renders non-w3 compatible sites just great also. None of the major browsers actually care about w3 complaint design, because if they did, no one would use them.

Why would I take a stand against MS? It works well for me, no point in taking a stand against an application I like.

No, I try to get all my designs to look as similar as possible in every browser. IE is always the bitch to code for, always looking completely different from the rest. I only care greatly about XHTML/CSS with client designs.

Also, I own www.dictionary.hm. It works in Opera, FF, IE6, but not IE7. IE7 team promised that they would fix it before it was released out of beta - but surprised, it doesn't work. And now they won't respond to my emails.

They only all look similar to you because website owners went out of their way coding for IE, where they could have say coded another feature instead.

I find that IE(6 and 7) is actually the easiest for me to code for. All of the major browsers I've never had trouble with. The exception in the w3 browser Amaya, which I've given up on, since no one really uses it as a primary browser anyways.

You should try your site on Safari out too, just to see if it looks right. I don't get a chance to do that too often since I don't use Mac.

I have always recommended Opera, and its been the best for over years now.
People just walk after the crowd, that's why they choose firefox.

Try K-Meleon its very nice and is a branch off of mozilla that uses less resources

Opera is much better, and its completely for free to download also.

I rather choose a reliable browser than K-Melon or whatever, it doesn't seem very reliable to me :/

Last edited:
Back