• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

fedora = redhat ?? !

Originally posted by velton
its that same as redhat ? what's the different with redhat ?

Redhat feels that they are above every other Linux Distro and has decided to make charge for any future releases of RedHat and not allow them to be downloaded. So to make up for it, they've started a new project called Fedora that will replace the "Free" version for RedHat.

Well also is RedHat is concentrating on making server distros. It will be more like RedHat 7.2. No more too GUI of redhat. That all went to fedora, which is focusing on consumer desktops. RedHat realized there is no money in consumer desktops and they need to run a business.

So much for the open source concept, eh?

And to think Linux users used to laugh at us Windows users for paying for our OS.

Originally posted by Conscript
So much for the open source concept, eh?

And to think Linux users used to laugh at us Windows users for paying for our OS.

RedHat Linux is still open source. You just paying for guranteed updates for X many years and technical support. And nowhere in the GPL does it say open source has to be "free".

Originally posted by CoRN
RedHat Linux is still open source. You just paying for guranteed updates for X many years and technical support. And nowhere in the GPL does it say open source has to be "free".

Beat me to it. Plus is RedHat under the GPL because the GPL allows for redistribution. The RedHat liscense is open source (You are allowed to look at it and modify it, but not redistribute)

GPL's free is as in 'freedom', not price.

I think it was a wise move by RedHat for fiscal reasons. RedHat was available for free anyway if you were willing to wait for an open server or find a mirror. The same is basically true but now it has a unique name "Fedora". There is no confusing that with RedHat so in the business environment you'll confuse less executives and Linux will appear less complex.

From the consumer stand point it's also a good move as RedHat offers support on their product and not just through a forum but directly with RedHat employees. I've never tried to contact Microsoft for support on Windows but I imagine it will be easier to get support from RedHat then Microsoft.

For those who think everything should be free they'll still have Fedora. Not to mention other great distributions such as Debian.

In the end I think it's just repackaging what they did before but making the free and paid services recognizably different. Just my two cents.

I would be curious to know if anyone has actually contacted Microsoft for support vs. RedHat for support. Please post if you have for either case.

I've never contacted Redhat, but I did contact Microsoft. As mine is OEM they asked me to contact Acer. But they provided fast replies when I asked for support on their other products, my mouse and XBox.

I always thought open source means you can't prevent anyone from changing your source code and submitting it back to the community...

but anyway, the "it's free" argument for switching from Windows is pretty much dead.

Originally posted by Conscript
I always thought open source means you can't prevent anyone from changing your source code and submitting it back to the community...

but anyway, the "it's free" argument for switching from Windows is pretty much dead.

Like Peo said, there are other distros.
Hell most of them (if not all of them) are better then RH9.

I can think of at least 10 distro right now that are completely free. (as in no price tag)

Slackware
Debian
ArchLinux
Mandrake
Fedora
Knoppix
Gentoo
YellowDOG
Server Optimized Linux (SOL)
ASPlinux

And there is tons more.
Take a look at http://distrowatch.com/

Like Peo said, there are other distros.
Hell most of them (if not all of them) are better then RH9.

I can think of at least 10 distro right now that are completely free. (as in no price tag)

Slackware
Debian
ArchLinux
Mandrake
Fedora
Knoppix
Gentoo
YellowDOG
Server Optimized Linux (SOL)
ASPlinux

And there is tons more.
Take a look at http://distrowatch.com/