• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Fantastico?

stu

boogie with stu
NLC
I see that many hosts are touting fantastico as a major feature in their hosting plans. How many of you actually find this feature useful and how often do you use it?

I use it a lot. I host forums too, so it makes it very easy to install the forums. I have also customized it to create a ftp account for the forum along with it. There are also many other things that can be installed.

As i have multi forums (ipb) i just customised that so create the ftp don't use it though just on thwere to serve no purpose really :biggrin2:

I actually use fantastico quite a bit but that is because I'm testing out all the items on there for other people.

Fantastico isn't any good if you have to do a restore of forums or anything else that requires a database.

Fantastico isn't required for all those as CPanel has them in the Scripts section now and auto updates the versions for install now at (the server level) the latest version, it's an overkill, and we're trialing a free version of another script handler that does the same job

Are there any competing products like fantastico? Or is it one of a kind?

Decker said:
Fantastico isn't required for all those as CPanel has them in the Scripts section now and auto updates the versions for install now at (the server level) the latest version, it's an overkill, and we're trialing a free version of another script handler that does the same job

TheSourceMatrix's Autoinstaller will be cheaper if it is maintained. Thus far I'm not impressed with it at all.

stu said:
Are there any competing products like fantastico? Or is it one of a kind?

There is a second viable alternative to Fantastico but, it is not "like" Fantastico.

PHPNuke etc can be installed via cPanel's Script Library.
I think Fantastico is useless, hosts are just paying for the name mostly :)
That's just my opinion though.

The only thing good about it is for scripts that have complicated config files or hard to understand READ ME files. Or people that are lazy. lol...You can install most of the scripts yourself and its better, because then they won't have that many errors? Not sure though...I wouldn't mind using it to install phpCOIN >.<

There is downside about fantastico, their script may not the latest version. And yes it makes life easier

_

Well the thing is, I think LDU is better than nuke by far. This is just my two cents here, and don't worry, I'll get to the topic :D

LDU is so much faster and the files are easily edited. I took 1 look at nuke...and the guy who wrote it is a complete idiot. He made everything so bloody complicated. Don't even get me started on the themes...the skin manager is so crapped. LDU uses a sweet template system modified from X Template. Making skins is easy. To me, the only advantage that nuke has is that because it was out long ago, it is pretty popular and has more features available.

So, why do people like fantastico for nuke? Simply because they can't make heads or tails of any of the nuke files. It's not that they are stupid, its because the guy who wrote it is an idiot and made everything complicated. It's probably a conspiracy to get people to purchase Fantastico anyway, he must be in with them.

LDU is really easy to install, the reason why it isn't in any auto-installer? Because it is easy enough to edit. Neuro, the author, himself says that he perfers to have the users at least be able to install it otherwise they shouldn't be running a site. If they don't know basic html, then they shouldn't really need a site..

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,

Back