• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

External Hard Drive Reviews

Smitty

Hey everyone,

Just thinking about purchasing an external hard drive (finally!), and I was hoping I could get some input from the rest of you on your experiences with your own external desktop hard drives.

I'm just primarily looking for reliability. I don't want to buy something that will stop working after only a year. An easy to use backup system would be nice, but not necessary really.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Western Digital drives are petty good. I have a 1000gb external and it has backup software that you can get for it provided by Western Digital.

Bought myself a WD 250GB (2.5") off eBuyer not long ago. Works wonders compared to past ones and bought some cases for them awhile ago for a few pound on eBay.

Yes, the Western Digital drives are awesome. I got one to match my PC's (640 GB) and setup automatic backups at 12:00 AM every morning. Works like a charm. :)

Seagates are great as well (they own WD) and they tend to carry a 5yr warranty instead of a 3yr and they are usually only a few bucks more expensive

Seagate has external drives? They should market them better - never seen one myself. ;)

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it. I have heard really good things about Western Digital. Albeit they are more expensive than some of the competition (at least around here), I've heard they are very reliable.

I was eyeing up a Seagate drive at one time, but got scared off because of some really bad reviews on Amazon.com about this http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10119807&catid= model.

@CS Squad - which version of the Seagate external do you have? How long have you had it, and have you had any problems with it over that time?

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it. I have heard really good things about Western Digital. Albeit they are more expensive than some of the competition (at least around here), I've heard they are very reliable.

I was eyeing up a Seagate drive at one time, but got scared off because of some really bad reviews on Amazon.com about this http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10119807&catid= model.

@CS Squad - which version of the Seagate external do you have? How long have you had it, and have you had any problems with it over that time?

I've had two of those, and I do agree with some of the reviews, but a personal instance myself is..it fell off a small counter that sits in your lap when you're on the floor, maybe about 1ft from the actual floor, and it stopped working, so..seems to be like even the slightest shock to it and hurt it.

I' currently have one of their previous ext hdd's.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3930502&CatId=2422 I've had it fall twice, and it hasn't had any issues, and, if you damage the bottom plate where the connectors are, it's easily switchable.

I've had two of those, and I do agree with some of the reviews, but a personal instance myself is..it fell off a small counter that sits in your lap when you're on the floor, maybe about 1ft from the actual floor, and it stopped working, so..seems to be like even the slightest shock to it and hurt it.

I' currently have one of their previous ext hdd's.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3930502&CatId=2422 I've had it fall twice, and it hasn't had any issues, and, if you damage the bottom plate where the connectors are, it's easily switchable.

It all depends how it falls, on an HDD, the head never touches the platters, however if you let it fall while it's reading data (when it's not, the head is parked), you risk scratching the platters and that renders the drive unusable.

Although it might not be the case (could also be mechanical failure from the fall), it is possible that you were unlucky that time and the other one survived by sheer luck.

If the drive is located in a position it could fall, you might want to try to find a drive that has a free-fall sensor (not sure if any company makes portable HDDs with those).

Thanks for the info, SageCryst.

I think I'll stay away from Seagate external drives, at least for now. Seems to me I keep reading bad review after bad review on them; which is a shame because I really do like their internal drives.

I'm just frustrated because there doesn't seem to be any clear consensus on any of the drives I read reviews on. While some people rant and rave about it, other people say they get lemons that last about a week only. Oh well, I suppose that's the name of the game when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Back to the drawing board for now!

Thanks for the info, SageCryst.

I think I'll stay away from Seagate external drives, at least for now. Seems to me I keep reading bad review after bad review on them; which is a shame because I really do like their internal drives.

I'm just frustrated because there doesn't seem to be any clear consensus on any of the drives I read reviews on. While some people rant and rave about it, other people say they get lemons that last about a week only. Oh well, I suppose that's the name of the game when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Back to the drawing board for now!

If you sit it on a flat service, and turn it on, and never ever touch it besides to turn it off/on.

You' should never have an issue. :p

i am using this model
http://is.gd/5jvyG
a desktop external drive, not a portable ones.

it is not bad, quite tough.
and it even survive in a fire when my room was burned due to short circuit from my power plug and caused the fire. it is extremely tough.

but i dunno about seagate's portable external drive as i never used their portable external drive b4.

Back