• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

External Hard-Drive And Apple OS X

Joel Brewer

Hey everyone,

I am currently running Windows XP on my main hard-drive, but recently bought a external hard-drive. A friend had bought a copy of Apple OS X and couldn't get it working properly, so he let me have it. I was hoping that I would be able to get it running on my external hard-drive, so that I can run it off there so I would be able to have all my design stuff on there, and then have my games running on my normal hard drive. Now I am running off of Intel Chip sets it that helps, but does anyone know for sure of this will work for me?

Thanks To Any Help!

Hello,

I'm not too sure but did Apply actually release a version of Apple OS X for intel to the public as a stand-alone software (sold seperate from apple computers). Because I know that when they first came out with it you could only run it on a intel pc if you had a special developers code or package or something of the sort to "unlock" and run Mac OS X. And then some people hacked it and made it work with all PCs, and on removable HDs. So maybe check if it is a 100% legal copy and if it could be installed on PCs.

Well I called up my friend, and he confirmed that it can be installed on PC's, he said his was just to old to do it. So, I am just hoping that it will go on my external, would OS X be able to run on the FAT32 File System? Or do I have to format my drive to the Apple File Format?

I knew a few people running OS X on their PC. But you can't install it on an external hard drive and to even install it on a PC would require extension knowledge and reprogramming of certain files.

I'm just looking at your post - you can't just 'run it' it's an operating system. Needs to be on your main drive unless your running virtual machines.

Also depends on which one, Jaguar is the latest stable (I think, think it's went one up), and MAC OS 'x' has PC versions that work fine the UNUX version of MAC OS runs on on all Platforms
And is actually very stable.

So all down to your your question again :)

Decker said:
Also depends on which one, Jaguar is the latest stable (I think, think it's went one up), and MAC OS 'x' has PC versions that work fine the UNUX version of MAC OS runs on on all Platforms
And is actually very stable.
  • It's Mac, not MAC, a MAC is a machine address code
  • X is capital, as it is the roman numeral
  • It's doesn't run on all platforms. Just PPC and Intel (although people have got it to run on other x86 chips). PPC is the only one currently sold.
  • Tiger is the latest stable release (10.4), Jaguar (10.2) is several years old (unlike Windows, there are new versions coming out frequently)
  • It's a BSD, which is a UNIX clone, not UNUX.

Decker said:
Needs to be on your main drive unless your running virtual machines.
That depends on the bootloader, OpenFirmwire can cope with external HDs just fine. I'm not sure about EFI or BIOS, though.

Joel Brewer said:
Well I called up my friend, and he confirmed that it can be installed on PC's, he said his was just to old to do it. So, I am just hoping that it will go on my external, would OS X be able to run on the FAT32 File System? Or do I have to format my drive to the Apple File Format?
OS X can be installed on HFS volumes only.

That all said, the only way to legally get OS X for Intel is by buying a Mac with an Intel chip; however, installing it on non-Apple branded hardware is a breach of the EULA.

In short, there is no legal way to install it on non-Apple hardware, no matter which architecture you're on.

Last edited:
LOL - yes MAC can be taken many ways - the machine address code is the id of the network card, OS X is most used for Apple Mackintosh platforms.
Jaguar was the last stable release of the MAC UNIX based OS.
Tiger still has bugs.
All versions are based on UNIX ( not a free OS ) so have to be licenced.

Bruce said:
There is no legal version that will run on PCs.

You can run a version on an MS virtual machine that is supplied as an ISO for developers.

In fact it will run native.

Decker said:
LOL - yes MAC can be taken many ways - the machine address code is the id of the network card, OS X is most used for Apple Mackintosh platforms.
Jaguar was the last stable release of the MAC UNIX based OS.
Tiger still has bugs.
All versions are based on UNIX ( not a free OS ) so have to be licenced.
It's Macintosh, not Mackintosh :p

Tiger is the latest stable release of Mac OS X, Jaguar is no longer maintained (although Panther, 10.3, is).

Mac OS X is not based on UNIX, but rather is rather a UNIX clone, like Linux is. Darwin, specifically.

Decker said:
You can run a version on an MS virtual machine that is supplied as an ISO for developers.

In fact it will run native.
The developer pre-release was included as a restore disk with the P4 3.6GHz system, and it cannot be installed legally on any other machine. The developer machines must be returned to Apple by the end of this year (along with included parts and disks).

Last edited:
Decker I don't know what ur on about. Intel macs run with a different system to the PC bios. Whether developer versions exist for bios based PCs doesn't change the fact there is no legal retail Mac OS for PC.

The Intel macs were hacked to run Windows, not the other way around. You still need Apple hardware to legally run OSX.

That said, it's simple to change internal HDs with a rack if you really think you can install it.

Kratt - EH! that will be why the corp version we use for development is YADA YADA.

Intel Mac's can run Windows but what's the point, BIOS is just low level - doesn't even effect the OS (not now, used too) - and a BIOS based PC ? Since when?

Decker said:
Intel Mac's can run Windows but what's the point, BIOS is just low level - doesn't even effect the OS (not now, used too)
It's rather complex to get Windows running on an Intel Mac for the simple reason that Windows doesn't support EFI (a replacement for obsolete BIOS, which Windows realises on, and Apple had no reason to worry about legacy support).

Wojtek said:
Equally illegal to install OS X on.

Back