• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Explosion at THE PLANET

According to Hostgator, 186 of their dedi clients were involved :s

That is the second fire at that specific datacenter, which was previously owned by eV1.

I would hate to be on the network after it comes back online after being down for so long... Its going to be shaky and flaky, not to mention the extra load that is going to be stressing it from everyone pulling backups.

I would say somewhere in the neighborhood of 5% of the 9,000 servers are going to require an FSCK and hopefully no one suffered from dataloss.

With layertech upping their prices and the planet fiasco, there are 1000s of unhappy campers at the moment :(

I thought it was just a fire... lol.

The bad side is that a lot of "important" sites are with the planet, for example, phpfox.com (the phpfox social script), and i believe host-tracker.com and some others.... I'm glad i'm on Dan's side xD (CVPS)

I thought it was just a fire... lol.

The bad side is that a lot of "important" sites are with the planet, for example, phpfox.com (the phpfox social script), and i believe host-tracker.com and some others.... I'm glad i'm on Dan's side xD (CVPS)

That answers my question on why host-tracker.com is down.

Seems I havn't seen it working for awhile, atleast 3-4 days.

Seems I havn't seen it working for awhile, atleast 3-4 days.

That explains why my host-tracker uptime button doesn't show up... I thought I put the wrong code.... :(

I hope it's up soon.....

One of my sites is located in The Planet. Luckily it's not affected :D :D :D

Does anyone in here have site hosted there and affected?

I believe they use more then one web hosting [providers to monitor the services arround the world. But the software might be on the THEplanet and that might explain more things .

Let this be a warning to oversellers.

If you try force more things onto the hard disk of your server than it can fit, eventually it will build up so much pressure it will explode!!

I personally think it would have been quicker to load all 9,000 servers up in the back of a couple semi-trucks and send them over to one of the other Planet datacenters ;)

Right now they are having serious network issues on the second floor of DC1 where they have brought some servers back up.

At present they are saying it will be sometime tonight before they can even think about bringing the first floor back online.

The networking gear keeps going up and down (not from flaky power) from the amount of time it was down and how everything was suddenly hard powered off. I know a lot of people are grabbing backups and going through everything, so not only is it flaky, but it is most likely close to its unstable capacity :S

Well seems as if ThePlanet is getting less coverage for their little outage (little... not really little, massive more like), as LT is pulling all the glory with their jacked up prices... They had their outage at a good time now didn't they? :)

Only the walls where seriously damaged? No server hardware?
Unless you want to buy 3 broken pieces of wall :p

I don't know that much about datacentres, but shouldn't they have something like an emergency stop system or something else that cools down the servers?

I don't know that much about datacentres, but shouldn't they have something like an emergency stop system or something else that cools down the servers?

The servers didn't really need cooling as they were not overheating.

What supposedly happened was the malfunctioning of an electrical unit in the electricity room. This malfunction caused the machine to catch fire, igniting an "explosion"

Anyway... They may be back up now, but the network will probably be flaky for a couple days until everything levels back out and everyone is done grabbing backups and inspecting everything.

Back