• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Expiry Date Question

phuckedup

! ¿ who ? ¡
NLC
There's a domain I want which expired 2 weeks ago but is still active. My friend said there's a period after the domains expired where the owner can renew the domain. Anyone know if this is true, and how long they have? I'm too cheap to backorder it :p

It all depends on the registrar. Most will keep the domain on hold for "a while" - to allow the owner to renew it still - before releasing it back into the pool.
The time frame is anywhere from instantly after expiration to never.

I know you were looking for a specific timeframe but there just isn't any. What happens to a domain name after expiration is totally up to the registrar that holds it.

thanks IA

from the whois page,
"Record expires on 13-Aug-2004."
"Website Status: Active"

:S maybe it's a whois error?

Its normally 3 months according to ICANN but depending on the registrar it could be indefinite. ICANN says that domains that expire must be released, but they are hypocritical with this ruling, they do nothing if the registrar keeps it longer or intertrades the domain with another registrar.

Back