• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Embedded Media Advertising

Matt

Moderators: I apologize if this is considered spam. Please feel free to remove it without consulting me if you should so deem the need.

I'm requesting comments on a new advertising format RedRival.com has implemented in an experimental stage.

The new format can contain all of the standard formats such as banners, buttons, text links, squares, rectangles, skyscapers, popups, audio/video and/or flash animation and whatever else you can think of, yet it remains inside the browser window; make it all that much more user friendly for the visitor.

Technology demonstrations are available here:

http://rrna.redrival.com/demo

Please let me know your thoughts. Networks such as DKAds which I believe have representation here, what do you think?

That looks good Matt, I like the way they disappear after a while and leave you with an "adfree" page. I wish you every success with it :)

ohhhh, if they got up and runnign then i woudl certainly use them, they are great, good work.

I assume you mean that if an Advertising Network, working for publishers, employed such a format, you would use them?

At this time, RedRival Network Advertising is simply an experimental initiative to attempt direct-to-advertiser sales, and we don't have publishers, per se, but rather the RedRival Network(the member sites making up RedRival's free hosting) provides the network on which this advertising is rotated.

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing some ad networks pick up on this format. I know DKAds picked up on the Intermediary Advertisement we experimented with a ways back and coined it "Pause Pages." From what I've heard, that format is on hold for now, but I wonder if they might pick up on this format, as it allows for traditional advertising units.

Advertising.com's using similar DHTML spots in association with its banner code presently.

From previous discussions it's also clear that you're aware of the similar formats adopted by FastClick (Invue), Yahoo Geocities and all the networks that license tech from Unicast, Eyeblaster, United Virtualities, etc.

There's definitely a lot of promise shown by these intra-window rich-media pops, but they're unlikely to command premium CPMs on indie sites while popunders and similar intrusive formats still sell for bottom-of-the-barrel rates.

It will be very interesting to see how popular the product proves for you, Matt. It does seem that Geocities' similar format has been accepted as one of the more popular media buys amongst the free hosts, so it could inject life back into your property if only by differentiating RedRival from its competitors.

That said, it would be incredibly simple for competitors to jump on the bandwagon if it does prove successful, as several scripts are already readily available that deliver and track formats of this style.

They are fantastic especialy the large middle one.
I wonder if a less anoyed surfer equates to increased revenue?
Be good if you can rotate the banner.(outside of bandwidth)
I guess the proof of the pudding is in its eating.
Would love to see data on the click through rates

Czar: That is true. I had forgotten about Advertising.com and Fastclick's ventures into the arena. Personally, I just haven't seen anything but banners, squares, skyscrapers--where they are in the actual page--and popups/popunders these days.

It's also true that any given format is commanding very low CPMs these days. I honestly don't know what I can expect in response from advertisers to this format. Mostly, I'd like to attract webmasters who value their audience and know the annoyance of popups; Small-to-medium buyers could also be expected, but getting that word out there is tough. I have to some advertising myself to get to the advertisers.

As for performance so far, the banners which I've designed--and I'll admit they're pretty bad in quality--do the usual 0.40 to 1.00%. The other formats, though, are where things get very interesting. The two Square(250x250) format campaigns currently running are doing 4.46% and 2.07% CTRs. Remember these are my creations so I expect professional artists and advertising departments to be able to create better creatives. The few Large Rectangle(336x280) formats going are running at 2.50%, 3.71%, 2.63% and 2.78% CTRs. I'm very happy with these formats as they seem to be performing above my jaded expectations. :)

1. It's important to note that we are not totally running on this embedded format. Rather we are running 2/3's popups and 1/3 embedded media. I would expect that if we were to run 100% with embedded media, the average CTR would rise.

2. These are not unique impressions. I'm not sure how this would effect performance.

3a. The advertisements disappear automatically within 15 seconds usually(in-house campaigns are set to this; advertisers can set this manually, up to one minute, or even let the ad display forever).

3b. Ad timeouts can be set to a minute and even last forever because there's a little 'X' at the bottom-right of each ad allowing the visitor to close.

This point seems particularly interesting to me. Even with a timeout currently of 15 seconds and allowing the visitor to manually close the ad whenver they want, CTRs are higher than I thought they would be.

I think your targeted market should be big webpublishers like hollywood.com, marketwatch.com etc.. I can really see the potential in this ads if any large banner ad network starts using them.

Hi Anatoliy, welcome to the forums :) I noticed your ad ^^ earlier. You will see a few familiar faces here ;)

Thanks Jan :) I am looking forward to talking with everybody, and hope I can contribute something to the freewebspace community.

Originally posted by Jan
Hi Anatoliy, welcome to the forums :) I noticed your ad ^^ earlier. You will see a few familiar faces here ;)

Originally posted by RevenuePilot
I think your targeted market should be big webpublishers like hollywood.com, marketwatch.com etc.. I can really see the potential in this ads if any large banner ad network starts using them.
No offense, but were Matt to try and commercially license this technology (which is available from many Javascript repositories at little-to-no cost), he would very likely come up against resistance from Unicast, whose patents have restricted all manner of rich-media players from creating intra-window pop formats such as these.

At least, that would be the case were the L-Recs offered as part of the package. Perhaps the banners and skyscrapers alone would be too far removed from Unicast's patents to allow them to challenge the sale.

It would be really hard to predict the outcome of the events in the case mentioned above, not all patents are always enforced, for ex: exitechange.com holds a patent for "pop under" but I dont know a single case of them actually being able to enforce it.

That's very true. But where ExitExchange's claim is easily dismissed through a presentation of prior art, and because the technology they claim to own is an intrinsic function of Javascript, Unicast's claim is a bit more sturdy.

Not only this, but Unicast have revealed that they're more-than-willing to take legal action against those few competitors that it has yet to acquire when their technology borders on the company's trademark rights.

For example, not only has Unicast come down hard on its active competitors, but they sent legal correspondence to a Geek/Talk member simply for discussing the possibility of licensing a within-browser interstial-style format early this year. For a company like Unicast, which derives all of its revenue from technology, the patents its holds are everything, and IMHO they won't hesitate to claim damages if someone infringes upon them.

Of course, that shouldn't infringe upon a web publisher being able to choose to develop such a technology solely for in-house use - particularly if the tech does differ from Unicast's to some degree, as is the case with Matt's product.

Welcome to the forums Anatoliy! :)

Moderators: I apologize if this is considered spam. Please feel free to remove it without consulting me if you should so deem the need.

I think we all know you well enough here Matt! ;)

The new ad format looks very nice and seems to be performing quite well for you so far... well done! :)

Although a bit off topic, I'd love to know how your text-link ad creatives (Somewhat Google AdWords-like) went when you tested them a while ago. Are you still using them?

Thanks,

Supermoo: Well, I only include that disclaimer since a previous introduction to an advertising system on RedRival was criticized by some as spam(the text advertising initiative). I honestly don't want anyone thinking I'm using the forum for any particular financial gain. I sincerely would like system stress testing, though.

The 2-4 line text ads generally performed as well as higher-performing 468x60 banner ads. Somewhere in the range of 0.40% to .80%.

The greatest problem, however, was and still is attracting advertisers. I'll need to ramp up efforts to contact and "convert" advertisers to this format.

It's too bad someone might take to enforcing a patent on these types of advertisements. It's a real shame and real drag on the market.

Hey,

Interesting development there !

I strongly feel, the centered square and rectangle ads could be easily mistaken for popups except that they disappear after a certain pre-set time.

Well, the top and the bottom banner should work fine...i feel.

Any takers !?
Cheers

Back