• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

elevated effect ?

ideavirus

Hii !

How do i give an elevated effect to a solid color strip...either vertical or horixontal using html and CSS..??

Is it possible to do that ??

Could someone help me with the code pls..??

Thanks much
:)

Okay :

Point your browser here : http://www.ecommercetimes.com

The light blue strip towards your right hand side..its actally a vertical column.
That isn't a perfect example...but what i exactly wanted is..: thickness for that vertical column..thats what i meant by elevated effect...kind of projecting forward..if you take a front view for that vertical column..

Thanks much again
Cheers

Just by adding border in the CSS will not give the elevated effect.....I had to uss the CSS a bit to get that effect...call it thickness or z-vector !

Thanks much

couldnt you use a div layer to position a 100% table with the bgcolour whatever colour you want the line?

HII,

i am not sure which site of mine, you are looking at...since more than a couple of you have not noticed the effect..I post the link here !

the site is www.hostoholic.com.

If you notice, the left box and the the horizontal strips ( blue ones ) are the ones I am talking about.

elevated effect...might be a bit confusing to some...what i actually mean by that is the Z..index for a particular strip..its got a bit of thickness...!

Cheers

Originally posted by meow
But z-index doesn't do that. "border-style: ridge" does.
Where the heck have you been? Mr. I have the most posts so I will leave for weeks! jk...

wow I may use that little bit of CSS myself

Speaking of which...why didn't the person just look at the source to find out how it was done?

Originally posted by meow
But z-index doesn't do that. "border-style: ridge" does.

You are right meow...infact i have used both z-index as well as border-style: ridge to get the effect i have on the site now.

Thanks
Cheers

Don't want to rain on your parade but z-index denotes the stacking order and since nothing stacks it has no effect at all and even if it had it wouldn't create a 3D border. :confused2

what I have noticed is that...by increasing the value for z-index, the ridge effect becomes more clear...may be I am wrong...??

Maybe the adjoining box overlap the border a little. A higher z-index would ensure that it's on top = fully visible.

Back