• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Dynamic Images ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

krakjoe

stop staring
NLC
Why can't I post dynamic images ???

http://krakjoe.com/bunny.php?phrase=Why%20can't%20bugs%20have%20a%20voice%20??

Eh?

People can just as easily use htaccess to make a php file end in .jpg instead.

And there are no security issues for making a php page (whatever contents) as a source for the img tag.

well I sort of see why they done it, because the php script could in theory echo javascript onto the page and the page in turn would execute it, not that you could do a lot but probably when they wrote the rules way back the standard for xmlhttp weren't so strict and xss was "legally" possible, now it's not in IE and Gecko without changing settings, could probably be taken away without any strange behaviour - there are plenty of gamer forums that allow you to use your gamer tag in your sig, same idea .......

Well, we haven't even allowed animated avatars for years since some abused that (not related to security, it just got annoying).

Create a folder called: image.jpg

Inside that folder, create a PHP file (index.php) place your dynamic image code into that index.php file, and then link to the folder as if it was an image (
) walla, you can post dynamic PHP images.

But we are not allowed to post images in sigs, and I agree with that :p

EDIT: Oh, the security reasons would be that you could collect the IP, Browser, OS and views of each person that see the dynamic image.

Create a folder called: image.jpg

Inside that folder, create a PHP file (index.php) place your dynamic image code into that index.php file, and then link to the folder as if it was an image (
) walla, you can post dynamic PHP images.

But we are not allowed to post images in sigs, and I agree with that :p

EDIT: Oh, the security reasons would be that you could collect the IP, Browser, OS and views of each person that see the dynamic image.

Almost, but when you have get vars in the url it's treated as a url instead of an image by vb ........ also I'm glad we can't have images in sigs, every page would take forever to load .....

I tend to think whatever you try to do, the vB staff thought of it already, it looks like they use a pretty strict regex to allow or disallow images .....

Well, we haven't even allowed animated avatars for years since some abused that (not related to security, it just got annoying).

i saw an animated avatar about a week ago. i dont remember who had it, but, it was definitely on FWS. i was so excited that i went home and tried to put an animated one on, and it wouldnt let me. :confused4 then i couldnt remember where i saw the animated one to ask about it. :cry2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back