• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

dvd help

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcuscable

I'm having trouble with my dvd software. I have a dvd rom installed. I tried using windvd, but the audio was horrible. There was a lot of screeching and there was no volume control, it was all soft. I attempted using windows media player 8.0 but the video was not as great. Will anyone suggest a free dvd software that has high quality? thank you.:D

Some time ago, I had removed the DVD drive from my PC and gave it to my son because I had no use for it, no software on DVD, and I couldn't see the point of watching a DVD movie on a little 19 inch monitor when I have a perfectly good HTS system in my living room. Besides, I wanted to add another HD in it's place. I also deleted my DVD player software to clear the space on the HD.
Since then I've added a second IDE controller card, and a friend gave me a DVD drive in exchange for an old CP/M machine I was using as a dust collector.
Seeing as how my PC had 3 available IDE channels, I decided to put the DVD drive in just because I could, and I wanted to see what XP thought of dealing with 6 IDE devices on one PC.

But I didn't have any DVD video viewing software and not a clue about what I did with the disk with the original software.
Anyway, having some spare time, I thought I'd play with it just to see what I could find that might work. I randomly grabbed my Lord of the Rings DVD and popped it into the drive...
Lo and behold!!! It had a DVD viewer bundled with the DVD movie.
InterActual Player v. 2.0
Works very well, and the price was right. You might try watching Lord of the Rings on your PC, or, if you don't have that one, possibly some other DVD may have viewer software bundled with it.

I also discovered that the DVD ROM doesn't need the audio cable connected to it for DVD audio. :biggrin2:

[edit] Just for grins, I just put U-571 in the DVD drive... It wanted to install a different viewer as well, so it seems DVD viewers are sort of ubiquitous on DVD movie disks [/edit]

Last edited:
Make sure WinDVD is set for 2 speakers, 4 speakers, 5.1 surround, and vice versa.

WinDVD doesn't work...or you don't know how to use it :confused: its one of the best DVDplaying software around, so i'd guess the latter

anyway, try Zoom Player ...great for dual monitors (i watch everything on my TV, and with this i don't have to set my TV as my primary display) and it plays DVD, avi, mpg, divx...everything

or try searching for them yourself :p here or here

Well i use Win DVD, but before that i used Power DVD, and i was a fairly good program, as far as i am concerned, Win DVD has the best picture quality, but Power DVD is a very close second.

I use mplayer, works great. try the nvidia one, its pretty good. also turning down your res increase clarity as dvd's where meant to be played at 740xsomething, 800x600 looks pretty damn good. Streching barely noticalbe full screen.

ok...

ok...here's the verdict

-WinDVD does not work
-I don't know how to run Zoom Player
-Real One is ok
-Windows Media Player is not very good
-haven't found a player within a DVD yet

anymore? Thanks.

Re: ok...

Originally posted by marcuscable
ok...here's the verdict

-WinDVD does not work
-I don't know how to run Zoom Player
-Real One is ok
-Windows Media Player is not very good
-haven't found a player within a DVD yet

anymore? Thanks.
As i said above, try powerdvd (www.powerdvd.com i think)

well, PowerDVD is most definately the best on the market, but as you said you want something free. Aswell as the ways of *making* nvDVD free, im sure there are ways to *make* PowerDVD free ;)

lol, mine and corn's replies are gonna be deleted...

Yea, but i wasnt suggesting, i was making a stament saying that it CAN be done. Plus I did post the link to teh nvDVD site :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back