• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Drivers License Scan Required for VPS? Common practice?

Rusnak PHP

Hello,

I just went to purchase a new VPS and I was told by my host that they require a scan of my Driver's License or Passport to verify my identity before they will create the account.

I am wondering, is this a standard practice for getting a new VPS? How many hosts do this? With identity theft on the rise is this safe to do?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
:)

It's not that standard, but a lot of hosts do this for security reasons (in payment stuff, preventing frauds) :)

Not a standard, but some hosts do it for anti-fraud purposes and stuff..

On a personal note, I wouldn't use hosts like this for fear of identity theft.
Some hosts do have a system whereby you give them your cell and they return with a long distance call that reads out a verification code - that I wouldn't mind using.

Not a standard, but some hosts do it for anti-fraud purposes and stuff..

On a personal note, I wouldn't use hosts like this for fear of identity theft.
Some hosts do have a system whereby you give them your cell and they return with a long distance call that reads out a verification code - that I wouldn't mind using.
The Planet and HiVelocity tend to request photo ID. You not going to use them because they might fraud your card.... ?

You are allowed install whatever you want on your VPS
And if you are not able to do that you always can ask your webhosting company to help you

Thanks for the replies. I've seen a few hosts do this in the past but I was wondering if it was a standard practice for getting a VPS as I've never had to do this in the 10+ times I have gotten shared hosting.

I was able to give the company a scanned copy of my University Student ID instead of a Government ID and they accepted it, so all is well as there is nothing on my student ID except for my name and photo. :)

The Planet and HiVelocity tend to request photo ID. You not going to use them because they might fraud your card.... ?

I haven't came to the point whereby I had such an issue. But, if they accept other forms of ID Card that has nothing too personal on it, sure ;). I'm definitely not going to put scans of my passport nor my government ID online.

If it is not a well-known company, then read some reviews before hand, to make sure that it is not a fraud hosting site.

I personally don't order through these hosts, have in the past but ceebs anymore, it takes to long and takes effort on my part.

this thing is with certain companies not usual especially in VPS or shared hosting.
but for dedicated servers it is becoming normal trend for verification.
personally I think hosts should make easy and flexible ways to deal with customers. as most of them hesitate to give such docs because of online vulnerabilities

Verification is a standard measure for hosts, it can be done either by means of a call given to a client, sms with a code sent to his cell number, or by requiring driver license/passport scan is ok.
Everyone wants security, hosts are no exception. It's easier to prevent fraud sometimes, then spend months trying to get IPs out of the blacklist.

I would rather be hosted with a host that requires this, as then i know that they have taken extra steps to make sure there network is not going to get shut down by the data center for users abusing there TOS.

Yes, it can be standard if the fraud check is not coming back correctly, also if you make it hard to read etc, you most likely will be denied. There are lots of fraud systems out there and they are meant to protect the consumer. It's definitely a pain, but worth it. Also, if it's a reputable company asking for the info, I wouldn't be too worried about fraud from them.

Back